New to Thailand and need hotel advice please

Haawk

This is my first post on the boards and just wanted to say Hello to all the guys before I asked my questions...

This is my first visit to Thailand, and my flight arives about 11:30pm at BKK. From what I have read on here and other boards is that making reservation does not 100% mean that I will have a room, and I hate to be wandering around BKK with bags at 1 or 2 in the morning :)

I read a post that talked about getting a hotel room reservation from the BKK airport. Has anybody tried this ? Is it worth doing ?

I guess my main question is.....

I would like a hotel in the Sukhumvit rd. area, 1500 baht or lower, girl friendly, clean, in-room safes, and will accept me at the late arival time ::

Thanks for any information in advance....

Haawk said:

This is my first post on the boards and just wanted to say Hello to all the guys before I asked my questions...

This is my first visit to Thailand, and my flight arives about 11:30pm at BKK. From what I have read on here and other boards is that making reservation does not 100% mean that I will have a room, and I hate to be wandering around BKK with bags at 1 or 2 in the morning :)

I read a post that talked about getting a hotel room reservation from the BKK airport. Has anybody tried this ? Is it worth doing ?

I guess my main question is.....

I would like a hotel in the Sukhumvit rd. area, 1500 baht or lower, girl friendly, clean, in-room safes, and will accept me at the late arival time ::

Thanks for any information in advance....

Haawk,

Nice to see you here. Having read your post, I think I can offer some advice for hotel bookings etc

Some online agents use allocated rooms and offer immediate confirmation to customers etc. This way, you are 80-90% sure to get the room you paid for. I stopped using this method immediately as what happens when a customer tries to check in at the designated hotel which they have fully paid for. Then the hotel say sorry we are overbooked, but we can put you in .......

We both know that hotel will not be the the same quality or price range that you have paid for. Not what you need after a 20 hour flight.

Well we never do this, you pay for The Marriott, you get The Marriott.

Now its peak season, and turning up in BKK and trying to get a reservation at a hotel via the airport desk sounds funny to me. Its not just the cheap hotels either.

So you are looking for around 1500 Baht/night. In room safe and guest friendly. If you pay for the night you arrive at, then the hotel will keep the room for you without question. When you book, you just enter in your flight details.

I can recommend

Majestic Suites

Nana

Royal Ivory

Swiss Park

Town Lodge

Manhattan

Suggest booking in advance at least 1 month for Swiss Park and Majestic Suites and Manhattan.

Cheers

Tim

Haawk said:_ This is my first visit to Thailand, and my flight arives about 11:30pm at BKK. From what I have read on here and other boards is that making reservation does not 100% mean that I will have a room, and I hate to be wandering around BKK with bags at 1 or 2 in the morning

Wise to plan ahead and ask questions as Haawk is doing.

I live in Bangkok, in the Sukhumvit area. Some observations:

First, many overseas flights arrive around that time of night.

At the airport, all the taxi services, restaurants, tourist information counters and money exchange booths will be open.

You won't be alone in a dark and empty airport.

Second, when you get to Sukhumvit Road, everything here will be open at that time of night -- even more so than during the daylight hours.

Late night check-in is quite normal around here.

If you must find a different hotel in the wee hours of the night, there will be dozens of them, open and ready.

Third, if there is a "glitch" in your reservation, and you are forced to move to a different hotel than you planned, there will be hundreds and hundreds of taxis (no exaggeration) cruising the streets at that hour, all eager to move you and your bags.

Moving a few blocks will cost 40 baht (US$ 1.00).

Now, some advice:

Don't go for bottom price in your choice of hotel, not if it's your first time here.

Pay US$10 or even $20 more per night and get a better hotel, with better service, and a more dependable reservations system.

Book in for 2-3 nights to get your bearings.

You can always change to a cheaper hotel later.

Although it can be a bit overwhelming, the Nana has always been reliable for my visiting friends.

It is within your budget; security is excellent; rooms are clean, just nothing fancy.

And the Nana lobby coffee shop is open 24 hours: a hamburger, fries and a Coke can taste mighty good at 2:00 AM after a long, long, flight.

Plus, of course, the main attraction: All the entertainment you will ever want will be waiting for you right outside the Nana's front door, at whatever hour of the day or night you arrive.

its normal to arrive at midnight , almost all of the flights from the USA arrive then ,

So all the hotels are ready for midnight arrivals ,

Some hotels want you to pay first night in advance,

this is so they get paid for the room if you do not show up, and its too late to sell it to anyone else,

If for some reason your hotel is full , even though you have a reservation , have the hotel call around for a room ,

They know the other hotels , can call for you and I have had them use their bellboy to drag my suitcases to the new hotel ,

really nothing to worry about......

OC

thaihoteldiscounts said: ........ Now its peak season, and turning up in BKK and trying to get a reservation at a hotel via the airport desk sounds funny to me........

"Now its peak season"! Funny I always thought peak season in LOS was December through March. however with a name like 'thaihoteldiscounts' you probably know better.

Khun004 said:........ plus, of course, the main attraction: All the entertainment you will ever want will be waiting for you right outside the Nana's front door, at whatever hour of the day or night you arrive..

NEP and the Nana Hotel car park = "all the entertainment you will ever want"?!

If the crappiest, sleaziest part of the p4p scene is all you want then I suppose you could be right. Not for me though.

Archived