Thai Airways board resigns

BlazingStarz

In fairness to Thai Airways... Thai's planes are serviced in other parts of the world by other airlines as well..

The B747's and B7676's that come to LAX/SFO are serviced in LAX (by United) and the B747's into JFK are done in JFK (also by United)... I believe that they also have a contract with either British Airways (BA) or Lufthansa (LH) for services in continental europe...

The only problem is that YOUR plane doesn't have a big sticker that says "Serviced in XXX"

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

Just had to relieve myself by launching a new thread about this one. one should not believe anything just because it is somewhere to be seen in writing. in detail :

longgun : your opinion about Thai to easily issue First tickets to anybody somehow related to a board-member, is wrong. thai is very reluctant about this. I fly 8 sectors every year between Europe and BKK First and the number of Thais I have seen in the cabin is almost zero. apart from attendants, that means.

jingjoh : which crashes ? the hualien (?)-airbus-crash pilot's mistake. 737 this year bkk-Chiang Mai electrical fault in tank, same same 747 TWA New york. Amellica plane.

vtombrown : if you fly "their competitor's " you won't win anything. anything that flies you over the pacific has a history except Quantas.

scum_baggio : better alternative , fly to sydney and then from there to kathmandu because quantas is one of the few with a clean history. won't make you any Star Alliance miles but plenty others. SIA had a Silk-Air crash plus the one in Taipei, maybe not their fault. as far as it concerns that "gem of an anectote" see my new thread about nonsense on the Internet.

And in general : If any of you airline experts ever allow yourself to have a look out of the window during taxiing after the plane left the gate in BKK, you might see some very strange looking big big planes inside the Thai hangars. they are fully covered by heavy scaffolding which means C-check. C-check is an advanced stage of servicing an aircraft and takes a lot of time. most of the time the big big planes show strange words painted on them : Quantas / Air France / Malaysian and so on. Have these planes been stolen and are secretly being sold now by the Thai-crooks ? Wrong : they are there for servicing because Thai's prices are good and their reputation even for major jobs excellent.

So far with the eternal struggling between facts and fiction.

I have nothing to do with airline industry except that i am an aircraft fanatic, read all the journals and love flying. thai is my favorite and therefore i stand up and open fire.

And if you ever want to see an absolutely wrotten, dirty plane which is a permanent joke on the airport , then come to the UPS Europen hub at Cologne ( Germany ) and look at their 747/200. Flies to JFK every night and surprisingly did always arrive there so far. God bless you, UPSer.

cheers

quote:

Originally posted by buffalo_bill:

longgun : your opinion about Thai to easily issue First tickets to anybody somehow related to a board-member, is wrong. thai is very reluctant about this. I fly 8 sectors every year between Europe and BKK First and the number of Thais I have seen in the cabin is almost zero. apart from attendants, that means.

Bill

It wasn't my opinion, just a story from the front page of the Post - I will try to find the story and post a link. The privilege also seemed to extend to all former board members too. Thaksin vowed to stamp it out after it was leaked by ticketing staff who were constantly pressured into issuing these tickets because they were scared about damage to their careers if they refused.

As a taxpayer in Thailand, the thought that this is where my hard-earned baht was going kind of pissed me off!

LG

http://scoop.bangkokpost.co.th/bangkokpostnews/bp20010504/040501_news03.html

Privileged living high on perks

Free travel, six-star restaurants, no limit

Amornrat Mahitthirook

About 200 active and retired members of the Thai Airways International board are freeloading on the national airline, with virtually unlimited perks.

The benefits extended to these privileged people, and to certain influential politicians and media personalities, appear to be unlimited because of an absence of clear regulations, company sources revealed.

In addition to free first-class air tickets around the world, present and past board members and chosen politicians and their wives have been issued with gold credit cards, with all bills paid by the national flag carrier. There are no credit limits.

The sources said these privileges were usually extended to followers who accompanied them on their trips.

Sometimes Thai Airways had to make special, costly arrangements for these high-flying VIPs, including rostering extra staff and supplying special food and wines.

Some board members were running up expenses of hundreds of thousands of baht a month, the sources said. In some cases, barter cards were issued so the holders could eat at restaurants in at least six first-class hotels in Bangkok, also at Thai Airways' expense.

Each of the card holders could spend up to 100,000 baht a day eating at any of these restaurants.

About 200 present and past board members were enjoying these benefits at present, the sources said. The biggest exploiters of privileges were from the military, the sources said. They included a former supreme commander and a former chief-of-staff of the air force.

Some board members never seemed to use their privileges. They included M.R. Chatumongol Sonakul, the Bank of Thailand governor, and Sumeth Tantivejakul, former chief of the National Economic and Social Development Board.

The sources said Thai Airways officials have been uneasy about processing requests for free air tickets for relatives, associates, close aides and subordinates of certain board members, politicians and even certain company executives.

But they did not dare reject them for fear of unpleasant job consequences.

Requests for free or discounted air tickets were also frequently received from certain newspaper columnists and reporters.

Pracha Maleenond, deputy transport minister, said he was looking for ways to curb these benefits, which cost the airline "several hundred million baht" a year. He confirmed he had information a certain board member had made 50 airline flights on free tickets in one year.

"This must be looked into and regulated to set a standard practice," he said.

LG

I can further add that many of the Thai mechanics and pilots are trained in the West. Many in my home town of Daytona Beach, Florida at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical university. Being in the aviation businees myself I was quite impressed with their dedication to study and overall seriousness with the way they looked upon their chosen career.

I also have a very good friend who is closely related to a former CEO of Thai airways. His biggest problem then, was always the control by the government. Period. It has always needed to be run like a business. Government cronies know nothing about running an airline.

I just seen on CNN that the FBI is searching properties in Daytona Beach. There are a lot of foreign students there learning to fly airliners. I see a large number of students from the middle east there as well. Boy is it going to be a huge embarassment for Embry-Riddle university if they trained the terrorist how to fly jumbo jets.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: mapper ]

Archived