Only in Thailand

Pescator

Thaihome, All road compactors/rollers are known all over the world as steam rollers, the name just carried on. I haven seen a real one in yonks.

I hope you are not getting politically correct on us now!?

Well, my company has several hundred of them all over the world I don't recall them ever being referred to as steam rollers, except by people not in the business.

Besides the semantic issue, which is really no big deal, my point was that stupid things happen in construction all over the world and if no one was seriously hurt, people stand around and laugh about it, not just in Thailand.

Thailand is actually miles ahead of many deveolping countries in construction safety. Try China or India if you want to see real stupid things.

TH

Miles ahead? :doah: Here is what I have seen just walking around,

No ear protection

No eye protection

No safety boots

No safety harness

No safety netting

No hard hats

I assume you walked by a small construction site, probably on Suk somewhere? That is hardly a typical large construction site in Thailand. Right now, my company is managing contractors in Thailand that have worked over 10 million hours in the past year without an LTI. You would not see any of these things on our projects. How many workers did you see? 20, 30? We have hundreds at 6 different sites. I worked in China for 2 years, despite our best efforts to get the Chinese construction companies to adopt international standards, their unwillingness to truly commitment caused 6 people to lose their lives. We have not had a non-vehicular fatality in Thailand in over 10 years.

Yeah, miles ahead... :smirk:

TH

Constructing/repairing roads, hotels, commercial bldgs. Would you trust the accident records of Thai companies? "Somchai not dead. He go home." :stirthepo

Of course small Thai construction companies are not up to international standards in safety practices or reporting. I don't think I ever said that. What I did say, and continue to say, is Thailand is miles ahead of many other developing countries, particularly China and India, in construction safety.

I beleive if you were to ask any western construction person that has worked in Asia they would confirm that Thailand is not any near the bottom.

TH

"My mother still calls the fridge the ice box ..."

I call it an icebox! I don't want to know how old your mother is. (She may be the same age as me.)

The operator was never heard from again: This is typically Thai sounding. How many traffic accidents have we heard of where the driver left the scene before the police arrived? (I am, in particular, thinking of accidents involving busses)

Archived