A Message to all English teachers.

Roger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really confused now.

Visiting LOS since 1990 they did not undertstand what a "coke" was. Took me some years to pronounce corectly the "koh-la".

But for my past 3 visits (last sep, dec and may) no one seemed to understand "koh-la" anymore.

They got this strange look and asked "coke"?

So I started asking for a coke now.

Question, what is it now, koh-la or coke???????

Hahahaha, I got that about 3 times today, Ko-la it has to be or you just get those blank looks!

You'd think they'd have heard it enough times by now to figure it out but then TIT after all.

Hi!

I once decoded the Thai script on a Coca Cola can and I believe it sounded like Coke. Perhaps the board members that can read Thai could comment on this. If this is correct why do they call it Kolah.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. In Sweden it is often called "kola" although "coke" is alsou understod.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

I know how THEY say it,but they are wrong!

(gg) So how many farang do you know who will pronounce Ayutha-YAAAH correctly ? Or Thai-LEEEN, as in (B)LêêêH. Ko-LAAAH. Xantippe So-DAAAAH ....

It's co-LAAAH. As in Patta-(heavy sigh)YAAAH. I'm not even sure it's phylologically correct to assume "they" are pronouncing it incorrectly. Thin ice too. Met quite a few Thai colleagues during my time in Big Oil who initially didn't understand I was referring to their own home country (gg).

You want to contribute to society. That's your raison d'être in LOS. And it's food for thought they still don't pronounce Cola right. From now on I will instruct everybody I know to no longer understand all feeble attempts by tourists to pronounce "Keizersgracht" when totally lost for directions. Let alone "Stadhoudersbrug". You're right ! The masses need to be educated ! And we have to be brutal about it !

To avoid nitpicking amongst Anglo-saxons on how exactly to pronounce most words in English and not just brand names I suggest to use a Jordy cap driver as a global reference. That'll teach the World learning English is *NO* picknick !!

quote:

Originally posted by clickonline:

(gg) I'm not even sure it's phylologically correct to assume "they" are pronouncing it incorrectly.

You want to contribute to society. That's your raison d'être in LOS. And it's food for thought they still don't pronounce Cola right. From now on I will instruct everybody I know to no longer understand all feeble attempts by tourists to pronounce "Keizersgracht" when totally lost for directions. Let alone "Stadhoudersbrug". You're right ! The masses need to be educated ! And we have to be brutal about it !

To avoid nitpicking amongst Anglo-saxons on how exactly to pronounce most words in English and not just brand names I suggest to use a Jordy cap driver as a global reference. That'll teach the World learning English is *NO* picknick !!

I guess some of us take these messages to heart, my post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. I didn't really mean that I wanted English teachers to add this into their lessons....oh well, back to the beach....

Cheers

Archived