A Message to all English teachers.

Roger

Please could you all teach your students the correct pronunciation for the word “Coke” as in “ Coca-Cola”. After nearly seven years here I have just about had enough of the blank looks on the faces of the restaurant staff after they ask, “What would you like to drink”?

THE CLUE IS IN THE QUESTION YOU JUST ASKED ME!!!.

Then they give you that look as if to say

“you pronounced it wrong, what do you expect?”…..

Cheers mad.gif" border="0

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Ranger:

Roger,

I believe the correct pronunciation is KO-la. Nobody in Thailand knows what Coke is!

Ranger

I know how THEY say it,but they are wrong!

I have no problem with learning how to pronounce a Thai word, but this is ENGLISH...I believe the Thais should be the ones to change

laugh.gif" border="0

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by Ranger:

Roger,

I gave up trying to order a Coke by name in Thailand long, long ago.

Ranger

I was given a cup of hot cocoa today!! this was in a restaurant that I have been to at least 3 days a week for the last year and always drank coke...

Dear Roger, I hate to say it but cola is the proper word. Maybe Thais can't pronounce the word coke but the proper word is cola, unless you are a diehard Coke fan. Think about all the different brands Coke, Pepsi, RC ect.. It makes it much easier just to ask for a cola. Everytime I try to order a "Coke" it seeems they ask me if pepsi is okay and if I ask for a pepsi they ask if coke is okay. I am not sure which country your from but in many places in the states people will ask for kleenex not tissue. In England people call a vaccum cleaner a hoover. In Thailand the sponge to wash your dishes a scotch-brite. I applaude the advertisers but those are not proper names. If one of your students goes to the states and says they have to hoover their room no one will know what there on about and just try asking for a kleenex in Japan.

My advise to avoid any further conflict or anger is next time you go to you favorite eating establishment just say the following.

caw Beer sing kwat yai noi khrup!

You'll love the result!

Archived