Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

Minuman, thanks for the report; you're right, it's GREAT to have late diners in Jaya Pub, the place is a classic, cheap, unpretentious and always friendly ....

We wait for more updates anyway (Kemang spots, Centro, Monaco, ect ...) !!

Have a good time in Bali. I heard recently that some of the guys of the ex-CJ band (the singer included) play in Kamasutra Club (Jalan Pantai, in Kuta), which is currently, according to a JKT girl who was in Bali for New Year's Eve, one of the best place to go.

Take care.

:beer:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minuman, great reporting, thanks for posting. Very informative & to the point.

I'm heading over to Jakarta for my first trip Feb 9th & this is so very useful.

There seems to be so little current info on what seems to be such a large & dynamic destination. I can only assume that there are few Bule in town.

Thanks again & looking forward to your next installment.

-Metalman

Metalman said:

There seems to be so little current info on what seems to be such a large & dynamic destination. I can only assume that there are few Bule in town.

Not to be controvertial, but do you believe in miracles ?

I don't want to break off your illusions, but you'll be far to be a kind of Indiana Jones travelling in some undervisited bachelor paradise : punters arriving each day in Jakarta are COUNTLESS, and most of the bars/discos mentionned here are packed with whoremongers and experienced putas (or assimiled).

Jakarta has often and since a long time been advertized as an awesome sex/party destination on many internet forums, and, partly because of that, is currently a MAIN sex-tourism destination.

There's since a few years in town TONS of westerners and TONS of middle-easterns (mainly from Saudi Arabia) hunting skirts and filling the sex-oriented nightspots, and 80 % of the girls they find are professionnal whores or freelancers (and assimilates) quite experienced with bules and arabics.

Yet the "regular" scene remains VERY good, but need good contacts, time and skills.

Like anywhere else.

::

Not to be controvertial, but do you believe in miracles ?

I don't want to break off your illusions, but you'll be far to be a kind of Indiana Jones travelling in some undervisited bachelor paradise : punters arriving each day in Jakarta are COUNTLESS, and most of the bars/discos mentionned here are packed with whoremongers and experienced putas (or assimiled).

Lol Prosal, didn't exactly see it quite that way. Indiana Jones! Lol....where's that bullwhip. I'm a fairly seasoned traveler.

Simply, (my personal) experience dictates that the more internet info one can find about a particular destination, the more foreign presence there will likely be.

But, I've been wrong once or twice before. How would the scene compare to let's say, Bangkok? Is there really that high a concentration of Westerners?

-Metalman

How would the scene compare to let's say, Bangkok? Is there really that high a concentration of Westerners?

My experience, and its a lot more limited than Prosal or the other Indo regulars, is that you can walk around Jakarta by day and see *few* Western tourists - its not Bali. Even the main backpacker haunt is small compared to Khao San Road.

Nightspots are different - Tigah Puluh was almost exclusively Bule guys with Indo women, and Indo women who were looking for some entertainment. As you know, we are all rich and more than willing to oblige.

Places like Hard Rock Cafe have a mixture of Bule and Indonesians, and I met a few expat Aussies there, but the majority of my time seemed to be spent exclusively with Indonesians. I dont know if Jakarta has a 'tourist season', but it would be interesting to be there when the place is in full swing. My aversion to traffic makes both cities a bit of a nightmare for me, but getting around in Central Jakarta seems a more civilised experience than my recollections of downtown BKK - I really need to give both cities another chance. Along with Hanoi, Shanghai, Manila, ........ ::

Metalman said:

Lol Prosal, didn't exactly see it quite that way. Indiana Jones! .

Well sorry, "Indiana Jones" was maybe not necessary :: ......

I posted to point that some guys, after reading threads like this one, could think they'll land at Soekarno airport in a fun loving, carefree, smiling, friendly and sexually uncomplicated paradise.

It's true and untrue.

Jakarta is a GREAT city to party and to have fun, with hundreds of good spots where a foreigner will ALWAYS be very welcome. Nightlife never ends and everyday of the week, regular clubs are packed with girlies. Impressive upmarket trendy lounges, spectacular discos with fabulous atmosphere, cool and lively sports bars, popular rock/jazz live-music spots, huge delirious hip clubs, high class cavernous entertainment complexes open 24 hours/24 and hosting daily more than 5000 persons, latin restaurants/dance clubs packed with aspiring Shakira wannabes, trendy billiard lounges with DJs and dance-floors, ect ..... you name it, you have it in Jakarta, and even in the upmarket spots, there's NO closed doors for westerners like in Bangkok (and no closing-time anyway).

Indonesian girls are beautiful and curvy, have great attitudes and are the most friendly and easy going women on earth : there's no BS arrogance in Jakarta. ALL have a incomparable natural elegance, are always neat and clean, dressed to the tens, (even the less wealthy), and could put most western girls to a shame. Most have a very good level in English.

Maybe 50% of them fit the category of "potential victims" : a western guy with some skills has an ENORMOUS choice among the regulars (office workers at lunch or after work, sales clerks in a store, ladies at the mall or the hotel lounge, girls partying, ect ...) and also with the countless occasionnals, fortitious, weekenders, part-timers, goldiggers, ect .. (and all the shadows of the somes-in-between).

There's NO taboo about sex. They're naughty. Threesomes (with two girls) is common stuff. Wild sex, awesome oral performances and multiples wild positions is the way most indonesian girls make love. For my next trip to Jakarta there's five or six regular girls that I know, all model-type easy-going beauties, who ordered me (with absolutly no shame) DILDOS, that they can't find in Indonesia. In term of performance in the sack I'd rate brasilian putas n°1, indonesian girls N°2.

But ......

Everywhere in Jakarta, could it be malls, clubs like Bats or Tiga Puluh, or dirty ratholes like My Place or Ds in Blok M, you'll find more and more experienced putas, most below average, and more and more stereotypical sex-tourists/sexpats. Not even talking of the countless whores nests specialized in arabics punters or the pathetics joints of Lokasari like TC.

Anyway in all those kind of places the quality has dramaticly dropped down, most freelancers have turned to hardcore pros and the prices have skyrocketed.

There's now in town TONS of guys, westerners and middle easteners, who just come in JKT to pick up whores every night, and who fill most of the spots which have been mentionned above ; the scene is becoming highly professional and well-organized, whoring infrastructure is bigger everyday, and foreigners begin to be looked down by the 'regular' population and automaticaly considered as a sex-tourist, clearly to avoid.

Yet I am not ruling it out. In some foreigners-oriented spots like CJ or Retro it is still possible to have GREAT fun and to meet high-quality women.

Have a good trip and explore the city, there's TONS to do.

:beer:

artiew said:

Places like Hard Rock Cafe have a mixture of Bule and Indonesians

Agree ...

Jakarta 's Hard Rock is not to be despise. It's very popular with a good middle-class indonesian crowd and even if many hardcore whores stick at the main bar, there's always TONS of regular girlies partying.

With the same kind of crowd, Piza Cafe in Menteng, Pasir Putih and Barbados in Kemang are very good.

::

Archived