Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

There is supposed to be one across the Sunda strait also linking Java and Sumatra

OK - major infrastructure may be the only way to move from 'Third World' to 'Developed World', but surely there are more urgent projects than this to fund, esp post-tsunami ??

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I've regained my ability to post, I can begin to ask my questions in this thread rather than bother Prosal with emails :p

Thanks for the info you provided Prosal :worship:

I'm will be in Singapore during January and was hoping to make my first visit to Jakarta. Ideally I would hit Jakarta and then Bali for a few days but the airfare from Singapore is very high for such a trip in January US $850-900.

I'll continue to monitor this situation with the hopes it will come down significantly but if anyone has ideas on where to secure cheap flights for this segment, I would appreciate your input.

Hell for that price I can fly to Kaula Lumpur and then on to Jakarta/Bali. Even with the additional destination of KL, it seems like quite a bit of money.

Damen

Check www.airasia.com. It seems they have a 210 000 rps (20 ?) flight from Johor Baruh to Jakarta, 260 000 rps to Bali. Johor Bahru is only one hour by bus from Singapore Changi airport.

Adik also mentionned that Lion Air and Jatayu offer flights from Batam to Jakarta at around 70 ? r/t.

My desire to go back to Indonesia begins to grow. If finally, for the two monthes vacations that I've scheduled for this winter, I find enough 'force' to skip South America (and the beautiful latinas), I will instead go to Jakarta. I'm already checking some accommodation possibilities. Let's keep in touch.

:up:

damen said:

A quick search on Expedia shows $854 from SIN to DPS to JKT. SIN to DPS is $861. All flights are on Garuda.

Dude, NEVER, EVER book inter-Asia flights from the States (or Europe) or online (exception is the cheapy airlines like Air Asia). You just get anally raped, with no Astro-Glide and no kiss afterward. Just go to any travel agent once you get here and find the price to be about 25% of that. There are always seats available and many flights from which to choose. Deep discount advance purchase fares are extremely rare here, unlike the States where they are the norm.

Classic example. I had a potential employer from the US want to meet with me in Sillypore. I told them that I would book the ticket and they could reimburse me as it will be cheaper. Oh, no, we will do it as it is easier, they said. Up to you, I said. It cost them US$534 for a BKK-SIN-BKK tix on SQ. Even trying to spend money, that ticket is about B6000 or US$150 here. If booked ahead on Air Asia, it can be had for $63!

Cheers,

SD

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I'll wait and book once I get there. I've booked a regional Thai flights in the past from the US (BKK to Phuket, Phuket to Pattaya, etc.) and those prices have always been reasonable ($50.00 to $60.00 per segment).

Does this same principal apply to flights within Thailand? If so, I might just have to jump on a plane and check out Chang Mai during my next visit.

Sounds like you did OK on your previous TG inter-Thailand flights purchased overseas, but generally, yes, all inter-Asia travel, which includes within Thailand on TG follows that rule. The exception is the budget carriers like Air Asia, who do most of their biz over the web.

Another exception is if you can add a city to your existing trans-pacific tix, i.e., LAX-BKK with a stop in HKG. This is usually free or little cost IF you are flying the stop-over city's flag carrier (in this example Cathay Pacific) when booking from the US or Europe. Other carriers YMMV.

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

Another exception is if you can add a city to your existing trans-pacific tix, i.e., LAX-BKK with a stop in HKG. This is usually free or little cost IF you are flying the stop-over city's flag carrier (in this example Cathay Pacific) when booking from the US or Europe. Other carriers YMMV.

Cheers,

SD

That's one thing I always take advantage of. Actually the Singapore segment of my upcoming trip is a stop-over on my way to my ultimate destination (LOS). I dont want to spend too much time (or money) in Orchard Towers so I figure it would be a great time to see KL, JKT and Bali since the are all relativley close.

Archived