Basic 60 day tourist Visa

Good point ND.

Another thing to consider is asking for a double entry Tourist Visa, than you get 2 x 60 days and each 60 day period is renewable for 30 days. In effect, you can stay 6 months and only having to do a border bounce once in that time frame (after the first renewal elapses).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point ND.

Another thing to consider is asking for a double entry Tourist Visa, than you get 2 x 60 days and each 60 day period is renewable for 30 days. In effect, you can stay 6 months and only having to do a border bounce once in that time frame (after the first renewal elapses).

yes it is a good idea to get the 2x60 but if you leave the country before the 60 day when you come back in they will start your second 60 day visa. So basicly you would want to use up the first 60 plus the 30 extention before traveling outside the kingdom.

Another thing to pay attention to is that the visa is only valid for 6 months from issue. So for example if you where to get your visa from a counselate in the states. They will list the starting date from when the issued it at the counselate. So figure the time it takes for it to be mailed to you and then the lag between when you actualy leave. and you may find yourself coming up a couple weeks short on the usage of the second entry. Although I have not actualy used a 2x version so this may only be the way the put it for a single entry. But something to watch for.

Are you saying that with a 6 month expiration from issue it cuts into your second 60 day stay?

I thought that the 6 month rule was just until you arrive in LOS. Once activated the visa is now valid until you leave after the 60+30 stay. It then remains valid until you return (even if one day short of the 6 month validity date). Then you may once again do another 60+30.

I am not sure of this, just asking if you guys concur.

I'll be there in Nov/Dec, for 35 day, so I will be 5 days over.

Just wondering, from what I know, the first day is no charge then 500 baht each day there after.

Has anyone here paid an overstay fee, and if so do they accept any other method other than thai baht.

I know I can apply for a tourist visa, but the times & costs involved won't make much difference, I would just rather pay an overstay fee for 5 day ( 4 days as the first one is free).

Cheers

The question that you have to ask yourself is; do you feel lucky? True, you can pay the 500 baht per day overstay at the airport or border crossing. If, however, you are stopped by police during the 5 day period, you will be hauled to jail. Do you really want to make those kind of new friends? If you are American (I'm not sure of other nationalities), you can go to the immigration office in either Bangkok or Chaing Mai or Phuket and get a 10 day extention for around 2,000 baht. I admit that in 10 trips to LOS, I've never been asked for my passport except when either arriving or leaving LOS but I doubt if I would take a chance on an overstay.

Just wondering, from what I know, the first day is no charge then 500 baht each day there after.

Wrong. The first day overstay charge is 0 and the second day is 1000. Each day after is 500. This is displayed clearly at the airport. Even if you do a one day overstay and pay nothing, you still will get an overstay stamp in your passport and flagged in the computer as an overstayer putting yourself at risk of future rules of keeping unwanted people out of the kingdom. NEVER OVERSTAY NO MATTER WHAT.

I have been overstaying on a fairly regular basis in the past. Never was a problem, although I had 6-7 overstay stamps in the passport.

But these days I would not even consider it.

Now I cover my ass by either getting a 3 month non-immigrant visa (I am thai married so pretty easy) or by making a strategic side-trip to a neighbouring country to get an additional 30 days.

cheers

hua nguu

Archived