WARNING: PATTAYA MAIL articles

Bangkoktraveler

Pattaya Mail has this attached to their web site.

[color:red]"WARNING!

It has come to our attention that certain unscrupulous web masters are stealing news and photos for display on their websites. Pattaya Mail Publishing Co.Ltd. own the copy rights to materials published in the Pattaya Mail newspaper and on our website. We will prosecute any offenders to the fullest extent of Thai and International Law."[/color]

This notice can be found HERE.

Well,

I know that you can't just take a picture from somewhere and put it on your website.

But what about text? I always thought that it's ok to copy text as long as you give full reference to the website where it's from, and possibly a link as well.

I have no idea about the law on this.

It's a very complicated question.

First it depends on which countries the source and the website publishing the material are located in.

Second it depends on how strict copyright laws the involved countries have.

You always have the right to quote a short part of the text if you give reference to the source.

In this case with one website publishing news located in Thailand with low standards of copyright protection and a website with the server in USA - IMO not a big risk.

A person living in Thailand who posts such material can be prosecuted however, but first police must start an investigation, a court verdict for ISPs to search for the poster who they don't know the real name of.... A very expensive investigation and will the internet newspaper spend maybe 500,000 baht or more on that - maybe the poster isn't living in Thailand after all. :cool:

Also you must see to the damage for the original source - in this case it's sooner a profit than a loss as it promotes a rather unknown website.

Copying of articles from newspapers in USA, UK and other western countries is a lot more risky.

Archived