Resign or go South?

Zaad

If she fails to live up to her obligations because of excessive pressure on your part she will blame herself and worse, you, at the loss of a good career.

Her comrades and teammates and possibly countrymen will look down upon her in the long run for not having fulfilled her responsibility and duty to her country.

She may have difficulty in the future of ever having a decent job again if her record is marked or if her reference is anyone in her military chain of command with a vindictive streak.

It is only a month. She is most likely in one of the safer areas. Keep her wits, follow her instincts and keep her head down and she will be OK.

In the end you will be proud of your GI Jane if she sticks it out. The best thing you can do is let her know your feelings but when she makes the decision to go (without undo pressure from you) then you will need to support her 100%

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have very similar problems in our company as there is a rollout to a plant in one of the troubled provinces. We decided we wonâ??t force anybody to go and leave up to their decision.

My personal opinion is that the media is heavily exaggerating the danger down there. Letting her travel upcountry over new years holiday or Songhran holiday would be more dangerous by factors. Additionally working inside a military base should very secure indeed.

I know people who are involved in foundations and semi-govt groups that are trying to do some things in the south. My understanding of the situation is that she would be probably be on a major base. As a dentist I would think that is even more likely.

Some military doctors are actually doing things that involve going into villages. They are with other armed personnel but the fact remains that they are in small numbers and going to places where they are vulnerable. Especially when they are going by vehicle as most of the insurgents hesitate to take on armed troops but taking a few shots or triggering explosives is probably where most of the casuallties are coming from.

Bottom line is that she needs to find out if she will be in a major facility or doing some sort of "outreach". Try to delay your own decision until she comes back with some more info as you most likely do not have to worry too much.

I fully agree with Asiafun's comments.

As you said..."she loves this lazy job along with the status, rank, title that comes with it and there's quite some competition to get this job, which is why she feels reluctant to give it up so 'easily".

You will be the brunt of any lingering doubt or problems caused from her resigning as well as any future difficulties experienced in working as a civilian.

There may be more danger currently presented to her in just dealing with everyday Thai traffic....

Thanks for the responses :up: Much appreciated!

Josh Ingu wrote:

Sorry, but that kinda irks me. She is happy to take the pay and perks for how ever long so long as all is rosy, but when the bill comes by, she wants to do a runner. Its the classic Thai mentality of evading responsibility for ones actions which I find one of the more unpleasant Thai characteristics (the old "bus driver flees the scene" mentality").

I understand your point Josh, but the only reason for her doubt is our 7 month old baby.

She wouldn't need to think twice if it were just the two of us.

She was supposed to go last year but mission postponed due to her pregnancy. Now with the kid it doesn't make it any easier.

She DOES take responsibilities but fact is that she never expected to have a kid this soon, certainly not according to our plan, and probably not during her army career.

ND wrote:

Baby makes the picture difficult, I'd be warry, will she live there? Kid lives where? you live where? Family together or apart is more a question than where she is going actually.

Family isn't allowed to go. Army personnel only. So she would go alone and we would remain in BKK. For approx. a month.

Asiafun wrote:

She may have difficulty in the future of ever having a decent job again if her record is marked or if her reference is anyone in her military chain of command with a vindictive streak.

Luckily not in her case.

She has *very* good high-positioned connections (family) in the army which could help her in such case.

But that's obviously not our primary concern.

BKKanalist wrote:

Some military doctors are actually doing things that involve going into villages.

Could be part of the program... thing is that such info is only known last minute. That's how they usually operate. Same for changing military base. Depending on the need of personnel in other areas which os where my biggest concerns lie. I trust the safety of a military base/camp (lived in one for 3 years -upcountry) but not the provided transportation from one to another.

And yes, as suggested by some, if she does go I'll support her 100%

More info...

She just had another chat with her colleague who spent a month in the South and he informed us he had been working mostly near the border with Malaysia. He stayed in 4 provinces including the 'active' Narathiwat.

He slept in a military base at night but was brought to villages throughout the provinces during the day...every day.

Feels like a smack in the face as I had been hoping for a few, very few, visits to villages far away from the safety of a military base, which isn't the case.

I'm not happy at all to hear about the daily trips.

Still enough time to decide though, she's enjoying her maternity leave until the end of the year. The happenings until then will mostl likely have a big influence on her decision. If it remains somewhat "quiet" down there, she'll go, if until the end of the year the papers are filled with shocking stories then I think it's clear case.

Either way, she has my support.

The Muslims do that 45 day (or so) fasting period toward the end of the year...not sure of the exact name.

Is there a chance that the fighting stops during that time, making it safer for her if she would go at that time?

Of course, can she go at that time?

Just an idea.

Archived