Resign or go South?

Zaad

People,

My girl needs to go to the South next year for work purposes. She's an army dentist and needs to assist the medical staff. To put it in other words..nobody (from the BKK area) wants to go there so they (the military bozos) set up a 'rotation system', which means those who're called up are ORDERED to go for a month or so. Failing to comply will result in a resignation.

My thoughts on this matter are clear and I've spoken to her about it. I wouldn't want to see her risk her life to assist the medical staff with dental care. (who the fuck would care about that anyhow at times of war??) but she has mixed feelings.

Firstly, she loves this lazy job along with the status, rank, title that comes with it and there's quite some competition to get this job, which is why she feels reluctant to give it up so 'easily'. It's something she worked hard for. Regardless the fact that she could find work anywhere.

Secondly, she won't be in the middle of the dangerzone but surely also not in a danger free area. There are definitely risks involved. 2 days ago for example an army vehicle with medical staff was shot at...no deaths as far as I know, but it shows nowhere near the South is a safe place anymore. And we all know about the daily killings and bombings of course.

Her colleague returned yesterday from his 'mission' and informed us he wouldn't recommend her to go especially since we have a child.

She knows my feelings but I've told her also that it's her decision and if she wishes to go she has my support.

I don't want to keep her in BKK against her will, but at least she knows the risks plus consequences about this 'trip'.

Your thoughts? What would you guys do in a similar situation?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zaad

Hard decision especially since you have a child. I have been working for 2 years in a place that makes Southern Thailand look like a picnic park without a scratch. It was my choice to come here though and I donâ??t regret it. If it is only for a month it would be worth thinking hard about rather than throwing a career away. I have heard that a good career is hard to come by in LOS especially for a female.

Hope it works out

S1

Your thoughts? What would you guys do in a similar situation?

Raise hell, probably. Make sure there is absolute no doubt in her mind that I would want her to stay here. Ask her how she felt if I went to work in a place where people are targeting me. How would it make her feel to be worrying about that constantly!

All you cAN DO is let her make her decision, and support her in it. If it were me I'd write it off as the price to pay for the benifits you mentioned. For my wife...different situation. Presumably, she will be on a base that has security, and thus not in so much danger. If only a month or so...o.k.

>Firstly, she loves this lazy job along with the status, rank, title that comes with it and there's quite some competition to get this job, which is why she feels reluctant to give it up so 'easily'.

Sorry, but that kinda irks me. She is happy to take the pay and perks for how ever long so long as all is rosy, but when the bill comes by, she wants to do a runner. Its the classic Thai mentality of evading responsibility for ones actions which I find one of the more unpleasant Thai characteristics (the old "bus driver flees the scene" mentality").

If your "significant other" does bail out, some other sod without the luxury of options will be sent in her stead - one who has not maybe had the pleasure of those perks of status, rank and title....

-j-

Josh,

Slow down, she's the one that needs to be convinced not to go. It's Zaad who sees her rather not go.

In all fairness Josh, she's a dentist, not a well trained commando or Seal team member.

I would seriously consider my options and in your position Zaad, make it very clear that you prefer her to stay in BKK. However, if she decides to go, support her. If it's only for a month, probably not too bad and she's apparently not in one of the 3 'hot' provinces.

Difficult decsision, whatever way you look at it. With a baby, it makes it just more difficult.

I would think that the risk of being there one month is very very small.

Yes there is some risk, but if she is on an army base its very little , as long as she stays on base,

everything I have read the danger is from attachs on the road and a few roadside bombs.

I hope it all works out

OC

Archived