2am clsoing has been good for me...

stumpy

I know there is a lot of feeling on this subject and I don't post just to invite comment but consider for a moment all of those who live close to places of entertainment.

My condo (on the 15th floor) is several hundred yards from a South Pattaya disco and yet the music is loud enough to shake the balcony door.

God help anyone who has to get up for work. It used to run to 6 or 7am at full volume playing to folk who can sleep all day. But for those who work here (not me) it must be a nightmare.

In fact dozens of condos on a particular side of the block mainly sleep with ear plugs in but still struggle to get any rest.

So 2am isn't bad for everyone.

Just my take on things..

quote:

Originally posted by stump_dog:

I know there is a lot of feeling on this subject and I don't post just to invite comment but consider for a moment all of those who live close to places of entertainment.

Stump Dog, thank you for this post. I am preparing to retire and move from Bangkok to Pattaya early next year. I had been thinking about getting a place close to the action, but your post certainly has given me pause to reconsider.

I have also been looking in the Naklua and Jomtien areas which, although a distance from the action, would have the advantage of some quiet which you seem to lack - even with the early closings.

Could you please tell me if, despite the noise, you are still happy with your location/condo? Would you move there again, or consider a different location?

Thanks buddy.

Sarisin,

That's a tough one. I am presently renting and I would recommend this as a preliminary to buying if possible.

I am happy at the present but I can forsee problems.

For example, if things change and we go back to 6am opening times I would probably move. I am usually still awake at 2am anyway so the noise is not too bad. However I do see a time will come when I want a few earlier nights maybe 11ish and then the noise will be a problem.

I would think carefully about location. I do find Thailand nosiy and sometimes it seems hard to get a good nights sleep.

Yes we come for the nightlife but after a while one does want to establish some sort of order to life, ie sleeping at a reasonable time and waking naturally and not being disturbed by a bass speaker is a good idea.

I am also semin looking at quieter locations already.

It's good to be close to the action but in reality if one is a little further away it's only a short taxi ride to the entertainment areas.

Let me know how you get on,

Regards,

Stump Dog.

Hey stump dog,

Firstly, why do you suppose there tend to be more apartments available in Center Condotel facing Hollywood disco as opposted to ones facing the other way? Secondly, apartments facing Hollywood disco are generally cheaper than ones facing the other way? Thirdly, the second pane of glass across the balcony,(most apartments facing Hollywood disco have them)should have tipped you off. As in most things in life, ESPECIALLY in Thailand, it's "Caveat Emptor".

Every silver lining has a cloud and if the 2am closing holds there is always the possiblity of a rent increase.

Alfalfa,

Couldn't agree more. That's why I am renting and have not bought. My friend has been in Centre Condo for at least five years and he gave me a pretty good insight into life there before I moved in.

Here's a suggestion, why doesn't the disco in question add some sound proofing, 'cos when that bass goes it makes a noise.

Regards,

Stump Dog.

I used to live on the back side of Centre Condo and had no problems with noise except for the Tuesday and Friday market at Buakhao early in the morning.

A mate live on the side of Centre Condo overlooking the Wat and complained of noise from the Wat during a cremation, generally from 4p.m. to 11 p.m.

Now I live in Yensabai Condo and have no problems with noise and didn't have before the clampdown either.

I'd suggest Sarisin to get a rental deal on a place he's considering buying and live there a while before committing if he's concerned about noise etc.

P.S. The 2 a.m. closing has been good for me 'cos now I get home about 2:30 a.m. not at sunrise!

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: themayorofpattaya ]

quote:

Originally posted by themayorofpattaya:

Now I live in Yensabai Condo and have no problems with noise and didn't have before the clampdown either.

I'd suggest Sarisin to get a rental deal on a place he's considering buying and live there a while before committing if he's concerned about noise etc.

P.S. The 2 a.m. closing has been good for me 'cos now I get home about 2:30 a.m. not at sunrise!

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: themayorofpattaya ]

Thank you for your advice your honor. Hot damn, the mayor is in the building!

Last week I hooked up with a realtor. A few guys told me this was stupid, but I wanted to get a feel for the various areas - Pattaya, Naklua, Jomtien. Well, this guy took me on a tour of luxury condos/apartments in Naklua and N. Pattaya which were very impressive indeed. The problem: the price. All of them were in the 50 - 70K per month range. Out of my league.

My plan is to rent in Pattaya for two years (I will continue to work in Bangkok two weeks a month and will travel back and forth). Then, I will either buy in Pattaya, or move elsewhere. I have traveled to Pattaya at least 30 times over the last five years, but the longest I have ever stayed has been four days. I want to see what it is like living there.

I am focusing on condos mainly for the security factor, I think. But, I have seen some huge houses and bungalows which are much cheaper and offer more for the money. But the security is dodgy at best.

I will return to Pattaya next month and have a look at the Jomtien area.

Again, thank you for your advice.

quote:

Originally posted by stump_dog:

Just my take on things..

One other plus for everyone: If you want to take a girl from a bar and you don't mind staying up 'till 2, you don't have to pay a barfine....

Have a look at Markland Hotel too, corner of Beach Rd and Soi 1 N Pattaya. 200m from massage parlours, gogo bars, beerbars, but no discernable noise. Close to Big C supermarket,good security, superb ocean views,pool,sauna,gym,24 hour restaurant 27th floor,50% rooms for hotel guests so standards are maintained. On the main baht taxi routes too, 5-10 baht to just about anywhere.

But not on the south side of hotel for next 6 months. Looks like there's going to be construction work extending Sea Cruise hotel.

I agree with themayorofpattaya. Try to rent wherever before you buy.

Archived