Legal Advice

itsmedave

Dave,

Also, since you are married to a Thai why not get an Immig O visa, good for a year with 90 day check-ins/visa runs? Works fine for me now, and it doesn't weld you to your emplyer and work permit and leave you in the lurch if you have a problem with your employers.

Also, will they not give you a good letter of recommendation for your next employer? What is their problem?

Cent

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be careful Dave, with the xenophobia surrounding the recent teacher/murderer, it would be easy for the school to make trouble for you, justified or not,
I agree with ND on this. Thailand seems be entering into a very unstable period right now.

Xenophobia was on the rise before the Karr case. The authorities seem to be more aggresively enforcing restrictive laws on foreigners. On the positive side, this seems to be forcing everyone to seriously consider the problems with these sorts of laws. On the negative side, if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when there is crackdown, it will be very unpleasant.

I agree that you should get a lawyer. I suggest that you talk to several (three would be ideal) before you actually hire anyone - it will be hard to guage their knowledge of the law, but you will have a sense of whom you trust, and that is critical - and that you be very clear on charges.

The only reason I can imagine that they are so interested in me leaving the country is that they are afraid I will spill the beans on some of their lesser moments.

It is true that as team leader and confidante of the principal and several teachers/administrators I knew just about everything that was going on.

I suppose that the email mentioned some of those bad things and they don't want the info getting out again.

In my resignation letter, I agreed not to say anything bad about the school, so I won't go into details here (this is another reason why I seriously doubt they would actually try and take me to court...bad publicity)

Cent, there was no major rift between the school and I before the email, (other than the usual) but they knew I wasn't happy with what was going on.

I may go for the marriage visa next month. Today I will do a visa run. It doesn't seem prudent to go through the hoops of the marriage visa if I'm not yet sure how long I will remain in country. Plus, I'd have to borrow some money to get the required 400,000.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should mention it because I was given a call by a friend of your and mine who said they suddenly had 6 openings and I should apply. I thought about it, but didn't for several reasons.

Anyway, it seems to have turned out ok because I now have a new job. I am the SAC manager of the Marriott and am on my way to a new work permit.

Archived