Legal Advice

itsmedave

I have a situation.

After 4 1/2 VERY successful years teaching at an Int'l School, (and 10 days after my new contract began) my school has told me to go home and given my room to another teacher because of a "feeling" that I have done wrong via email, (no proof of anything and no previous warnings of any kind)

So I have not been officially fired as they are still loking for proof, but I have also not been assured that I will be paid anything more. All I was told is that they would call me back. 3 days later no call has come.

2 years ago, when they were trying to rid themselves of a principal they did a similar thing, and I recall hearing that they hoped he would just stay home long enough that they could declare he had abandoned his contract by not reporting for work (since nothing was in writing) and has de facto quit...thus absolving them of oweing severance pay. I'm not certain of the particulars (it wasn't me campus) but apparantly he got a lawyer who advised him to just go in and sit in a small room they provided until the settlement was worked out.

Does anybody know anything about this or have some advice of how I should handle things. I'm very nervous because the rent is coming due soon, and a stipulation in the contract is that we are not permitted to look for work while under contract.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Itsme,

Really sorry to hear about your dilemma and while I can't really be of any legal advice help, I'm sure you'll get some here, maybe by pm.

It would seem to me, though, according to your story, that being in their face would be the only way to keep your current job and salary, if that's what you want.

Best of luck.

Hmmmm, a tough situation for sure...

Not a lawyer, hope one shows up here with advise.

1) You can forget it (walk away). I guess that it what they want you to do.

2) There is a Thailand Labor Relations Board near to Victory Monument, maybe some help there.

Since a contract, is binding both ways, VERY small maybe, you stay home, and they pay you. Wouldn't that be nice.

The falang lawyers in Thailand are, in general, absolute shit. They CANNOT practice law in Thailand and I can count on one hand the number who can read Thai.

This is the unique case where one could actually be of value as the employer is more or less falang and they most certainly do not want publicity.

I would start looking NOW.

When they start talking about how much they charge per hour (the actual work will be done by Thai lawyers who have rates one third to one tenth of the great falang lawyer) don't even consider it. See what they want as a percentage of any settlement they negotiate that the school will pay you to go away.

Shop around. There are lots of falang laywers here with nothing to do, no clients, etc.

PM me if you don't have any luck connecting with one.

Most important of all do it RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, you need to talk to Bangkok2Knight (or whatever). He recently got the shaft from his school simply because he told them he wasn't renewing his contract. The school called Immigration and cancelled his visa and WP. He found out about it when he went to renew his visa -- and got hit for an overstay, even though the date in his passport said his visa was still valid.

Keep an eye on your visa ... unless you are on your own spousal visa. (One good reason not to have your visa tied to your job!)

Thank you all for your help. I did go in and report for work...and the upshot is that a settlement was reached.

I was given a letter of resignation to sign (with no prejudice) and in exchange I was given a check for nearly 3 months salary. They told me I will hae until the 25th to renew my visa.

So it's all over and I figure I have about 3 weeks of job hunting to do before I willhave to bite the bullet and make plans to return to the real world. Let me know if you hear of a job ANY job which would give me at least 60k take home a month.

Thanks again...Dave

P.S. I'm not above pole dancing.

Archived