I'm looking for a hotel in Pattaya between Beach Road and 2nd Road. Must have:

- A great pool.

- In room safety deposit box.

- Air conditioning.

- Cable or satelite TV.

- Guest friendly.

- Price 1000 to 3000 baht per night.

Any suggestions?

Mercure Pattaya can fit all your requirements. Located in a soi opposite Royal Garden shopping centre. Free Tuk Tuk to and from the hotel.

Safety Deposit Box in room.

That seems to be mentioned more and more.

Only used safety deposit once many years ago on an early trip.

Haven't used one since. Nothing ever stolen.

I guess I am either dumb or lucky or both.

I only stay at the high end of the low end hotels.

With that price range SM, take your pick.. but let me recommend, The Areca Lodge. Stayed there 4 times so far, and back in Nov. Has basically everything you mentioned. Location wise, perfect. In between the famous Walking Street and Soi 6,7,8. Turn left, turn right, go straight, hell even Soi Bukow is at the back if you want to try another area, so its all there. Rooms range from 1000 - 2000 baht.

Safety Deposit Box in room.

That seems to be mentioned more and more.

Only used safety deposit once many years ago on an early trip.

Haven't used one since. Nothing ever stolen.

I guess I am either dumb or lucky or both.

I only stay at the high end of the low end hotels.

I have to say lucky so far, but mate, don't risk it. They are there for a reason. Better to be safe than very very sorry. In fact, get her to throw her stuff in there as well for added security, just incase she has thoughts of slipping you mickey!!

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be too careful... but don't want to end up in a hotel room alone in Pattaya! Can you confirm Mercure is guestfriendly? And has anyone stayed there who can recommend it - nice place? I'd rather pay more for another place if Mercure is getting old or simply not a nice place to stay.

thanks,

YimSiam

Not to be too careful... but don't want to end up in a hotel room alone in Pattaya! Can you confirm Mercure is guestfriendly? And has anyone stayed there who can recommend it - nice place? I'd rather pay more for another place if Mercure is getting old or simply not a nice place to stay.

thanks,

Mercure is nice. Only been open 1-2 years.

A review given by one of my customers.

have recently spent 3 nights in the Mercure and would very highly recommend the place.

The hotel is 2 years old (or thereabouts I think) and I really like the it, very clean with helpful staff, the rooms aren't very big but they do put a King size bed in. The bathroom is small with no bath tub, but a separate shower cubicle. The decor is a contemporary style with a bit of Teak wood look, I'm not from house and home but it looked good to me. All rooms have in room safe.

Book a room at the rear of the hotel, we had a room at the front which overlooks the Marriott and the sea, but it also looks over Beach road 2, some flats and waste ground. The rear of the hotel overlooks the very nice pool area and the sun rises at the rear so if you just want to chill on the balcony (all rooms have a balcony) you get sun and the view.

Breakfast is usual fare but very nice, they have a patio area, shaded by parasols, so breakfast outside is a nice meal.

I actually used the pool here, which because its a new hotel it is still in very good condition, the pictures on the web site don't do it justice.

Like the Grande they only have 2 lifts, but as they only have 7 floors never an issue.

The hotel had a few Farangs, but there were many Japanese and Koreans who were all very polite and made it an enjoyable stay.

There is nightly entertainment, a cabaret type singer in the bar, I popped in 1 night for a quick look and it was very quiet, it seems everyone had the same idea as me and heading down Walking Street.

There were 2 downsides, the hotel is set back from Beach Road 2, but the hotel has a free Tuk Tuk, (or free baht bus if more than 4 need it) from the hotel to the main road. I believe its 24 hours and they have staff at both the hotel and dropping off point with walkie talkies so if you need a ride they let each other know straight away, the longest I waited was 2 minutes, the journey from the hotel to the road was about 1 1/2 minutes in the Tuk Tuk.

From where you are dropped off by the Tuk Tuk, its 2 minutes to the sea and 7 minutes walk to Walking Street.

The second downside is the cost of the laundry, we arrived after 6 days in Hong kong and 3 in Bkk, just had a few bits done and it seemed expensive, however where the Tuk Tuk drops you off are 2 laundries, 10 baht for a T shirt, 15 baht for a proper shirt, washed dried and ironed.

The room rate was 1874baht per night including breakfast, again booked through Tim at Thaihoteldiscounts.

Would I stay here again, you bet, this is now the hotel for me in Pattaya, but don't forget to book a room at the back of the Hotel.

YimSiam

Thanks for that - price seems low for a nice and new hotel, but it seems that it's just a good deal! Am looking at my options (another romp in the Penthouse again?! or make a move elsewhere) and will definitely use your site if I settle on Mercure Pattaya - same same Davis in Bangkok, which looks very nice, new, and a good deal.

Thanks for the quick response,

YimSiam

YS / Spiceman,

Don't think KS has the Hotel Reviews loaded on the new board yet however you might want to scan thru the posts and replies on the FLB Hotels Forum

You can do quite a bit of research there (and even here using the "Search" feature naming a hotel you're considering).

For example I came close to trying out a suite in the LK Metropole however I found 2 bad reports right in this forum. Also considered the Whitehouse Condohotel on Soi 13 however from the FLB forum I learned they just recently started charging Joiner Fees if you bring back > 1 girl (similar to Sunbeam).

I thought about Mercure, and may still try it, however some complained about its location.

Many of the folks on that FLB Hotels site are all talking quite highly of The Vault - must say the suites do look interesting (but, there's no elevator)...

Me, I decided to return to a Junior suite in Bella Villa Prima - which has in room safes as well as built in wireless (when it works...), and the girls all loved the suite.

trine pinewood studios

on 2nd rood oposite soi 6

INROOM internet.

laundry.

sd box at reception with double keys and envellope.

large rooms with good service

nice bathroom and so on

I paid 1k5 last time.

PTY is great for cheap good accom.

and off course VERY guest friendly.

I took two on some occasions. No problme.

Came alone and had the LT comiing a2 days later, the did not say a word about me arrive two days before to here when checking her in. (as request they cleaned the complete roomd and sheets that morning :) )

if you like it: next to alcazar ...

close to sabai land.

stone dead from soi 6 .....

Archived