Want to Buy Appartment/Condo

sidsanuk

I have a few friends in Thailand in BKK Suk who have been there for a while and are trying to sell their Condos at a loss, Westerner get taken for a ride when buying condos or houses pay too much and if you put it in the wifeâ??s name good by house after divorce, that why Iâ??m renting when I move to Thailand full time, I can move to a different part of Thailand when I want to.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::condom:

Yes. Agree, goodbye house after divorce. Need to have eyes open to that. But having been divorced once already (Aussie wife), with house in both names, I still lost the house.....and had to pay out the outstanding mortgage! Simple fact of life in most countries I am afraid. In times of divorce, the man is to blame and gets screwed by all concerned. If you take that view......you'll never be disappointed! :-)

Long story that one .....

But yes. If I bought land/house in my wife's name, it would be in the knowledge that it could be lost if divorced. That all has to be part of the decision process.

I have a few friends in Thailand in BKK Suk who have been there for a while and are trying to sell their Condos at a loss, Westerner get taken for a ride when buying condos or houses pay too much and if you put it in the wifeâ??s name good by house after divorce, that why Iâ??m renting when I move to Thailand full time, I can move to a different part of Thailand when I want to.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::condom:

I remember seeing this great interview on TV. An American guy who owned a brothel I think. Was really wealthy. One of the hookers was his latest girlfriend.

His philosophy on life was something like....

"If you can drive it, sail it, fly it....or fuck it.....rent it"

Wise man in my books! :-) Wish I could afford to !

But having been divorced once already (Aussie wife), with house in both names, I still lost the house

I too have been divorced but I took my wife for a ride of her life, where I got 3/4 she got quarter good solicitor I think, but I did not have kids and I am Aussie, but like a good fight.

But having been divorced once already (Aussie wife), with house in both names, I still lost the house

I too have been divorced but I took my wife for a ride of her life, where I got 3/4 she got quarter good solicitor I think, but I did not have kids and I am Aussie, but like a good fight.

Yes, kids make the difference!

Reading all the past threads, it seems not many have bought. Most rent. That was my point.

I guess my point was, reading the past threads, how many of those people have the 4-8 million in the bank to able to buy? Not many and it seems to me they rationalize it by saying buying would be a mistake. The fact is, if they had the money, most of them would buy something. :cool:

This of course excludes the one that are convinced the goal in life for every Thai is to scam a farang. :shocked:

TH

ThaiHome,

You make a fair point. I have never rented and would never do so. It is such a waste of money IMHO. I'd rather be paying the money towards a mortgage and at least be building an asset.

The big question of course, is wil the asset appreciate in value. If not, as many seem to think, in terms of a condo in Bangkok, then a Condo may indeed not be a worthwhile investment.

A house with land though, might be a different proposition.

As a case in point though, I have a Condo in Sydney which has not appreciated in the 4 years that I have owned it. (Sadly I bought at the top of the boom). I would have been better off paying rent and saving the difference between the rent payment and the mortgage payment! ie if I sold it now, I would be worse off than if I had rented!

But houses (due to the land value) always apprecaite in value.....over the long term.

Just my thoughts...certainly not an expert on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Pattaya so the Bangkok market is not at the top of my agenda but I see loads of condos here which are massively overpriced. people get sucked in off plan, then try to sell on before completion.

Look at the View Talay on Pattaya Beach. When it went up it was very popular, still not completed and is on a real skinny plot of land with stuff going on each side in the near future. You cannot sell out there now without taking a considerable loss. If you move in, you'll be literally metres away from someone looking straight into your living or bedroom !

Rent first, then if something comes up and you like the area, you can buy. Spend time there and check out prospective development (not necessarily housing) in the immediate vicinity.

• 1 month later...

I can afford to buy any apartment or home in Bkk or PTTY, or both, that I want to. I won't tie my money up and be subject to being ripped off, one way or another, Rentals are plentiful and reasonable.

Most guys who buy, regret it.

Plus, I want to be packed and out of the country, with most of my stuff, in 48 hours, if necessary.

Archived