University Challenge

bust

Been talking for nearly a year now to a final year student doing marketing. She attends one of the top 5 government universities. She also tells me that kids committ suicide over faiure to gain entry into some universities in LOS. She says there are huge social pressures on kids today to get into these facilities. It can determin your future on a social level which seems to be more important than academic achievments. Any thoughts???????????

Sounds the same as any nation on earth then....but yes, it does appear to be true here as well...why wouldn't it be?

It would however be nice if the standard of education matched those of western nations...the pressure is the same, the standards are not...the one track memory game is king here, but no conceptual awareness of applicability and no education on thinking for yourself....blindly follow...repeat....don't think, just do...etc etc...

Intelligence is often seen as the ability to be 'open' to change and acceptance of new ideas, then the ability to apply and adapt accordingly...that entire concept is absent here. Seems an awful shame that there is such pressure for very little real benefit to the individual and country. The zombie nation indeed.......

MSW is respectable, but not really in the running for top unies. It began as the sole degree level teacher training university for Thailand and thus was not considered to be in competition with Chula, Thammasat, Mahidol, Kasetsart and maybe Silpakorn. (The regional unies such as Chiang Mai are sort of outside the inner circle by virtue of being outside of Bangkok.)

Srinakarin has since grown to include other majors than teaching, and certainly ranks well about the "rachapat universities", which formerly were A Level teacher colleges. (In fact, I think the rachapat unies have dropped in prestige over the former teachers colleges which they once were. They don't rank much above the private unies, most of which have open admission.)

I haven't heard of anyone committing suicide over not getting into one of the top five. But I do know that some secondary school grads will not even take the national university entrance exams for fear of not making the cut. They simply go to Assumption (most respected of the private unies) or swallow their pride and go to Ramkhamhaeng (easy to enter, but tough to graduate from).

Figure a minimum of about 98% on the national exam for a seat in Chula, 96% for Thammasat, slightly lower for the others. However, Chula is notorious for retaining openings for the children of prominent alumni and top politicians. (Thaksin's daughter got into Chula with a score of only 87%, which cause a bit of a stink from those with higher marks who didn't.)

You wouldn't believe what a four year law degree here consists of. Quite simply, the students have to MEMORIZE the entire legal code! Quite a few law majors have expressed their disappointment to me and told me they were dropping out to test again and try for another faculty.

After you get a BA in Law in Thailand, you have to study with the Ministry of Justice to learn how to practice law. Prior to that. you are expected to be simply a sponge. :(

Just curious as to why Ramkhamhaeng Uni is hard to graduate from.

Amazing how many students are enrolled there.

Have you ever been to the Bang Na Campus (Ramkhamhaeng 2) where the 1st and 2nd year students take their classes (several hundred students in a single class!)?

I've heard numbers of 100K+ in the part time courses, also I DO remember they had to extend the time limit in which you had to complete the course as not enough students where finishing their dgrees.

My understanding is Ramkhamhang is easy to graduate from, as a mate said once "I wouldn;t consider them, even my maid has a degree from there"

Archived