German Buffet

Old Hippie

For some reason, last Sunday, One of my "gfs" took me to a German Buffet. She used to live in Germany, and it seems she really loved the place, so I said what the hell. We went to Bei Otto Co. 1 Sukhumvit Rd. Soi 20. 350Bht/pp which wasn't to bad, the array of food was well worth it! A lot of Pork, but all done to perfection. Very traditional German food/style. Many dishes I haven't seen since I was a kid!

She loves this place, as did a lot of the other TGs there. Over all, I thought it was worth the money, food and service were excellent, especially the dark breads!! Oddly enough, we can't get bread that good here in San Francisco. By all means give it a try if you are in the mood for German!!

Yea, I really enjoyed the change in cuisine! My GF loved it, she a few months in Germany, and really likes the food. I agree, it is over the top with fat and sweets, but most European food does compared to Thai. I really like the cold platter, cheese, ham, pate, wow! To bad we don't have it here at that price!!

As for speckman's or Beethoven's, I can't recall them, so I guess not. What part of the city were they in? I know one place on 9th st. and one on O'Farrell, neither one is anyhing to boast about. But then most of the Thai places I've been to here leave a lot to be desired. It's hard to justify the high cost of eating out in SFO.

Old Hippie, I'm with you! The food along Sukhumvit is unexceptional; so, a respectable restaurant like Bei Otto deserves its due. Very good sausages. Great beer selection. Good service and atmosphere. The buffet is a bit over-the-top with fat and sweets, but if that's what one is looking for, then Bei Otto has all one can eat. Check it out, everybody. Soi 20, a ~hundred meters down, on the left.

PS--Old Hippie, did you used to go to Speckman's and/or Beethoven's in SF, before they went down the crapper?

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

I suggest you try Schroeder's on Front St. in downtown SF. Excellent sauerbrauten and snitzel. Both light and dark rye bread with the meal. Beethoven was on Washington Sq. at the former Washbag eatery.

Speckman's Bakery (I don't know the rest.) is still operating as far as I know. In Krung Thep, I've had good luck at the International Beer House in Soi 23 @ Cowboy. Frank, owner/mgr. puts out tasty and affordible thai/ german cuisine. He used to have a Sunday buffet, but i'm not sure now. Perhaps, one of the Sat. night Sanuk/Asfo regulars can answer. Will renew acquaitences in Late Jan.- Feb. ---the Pale Rider

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Yea, I really enjoyed the change in cuisine! My GF loved it, she a few months in Germany, and really likes the food. I agree, it is over the top with fat and sweets, but most European food does compared to Thai. I really like the cold platter, cheese, ham, pate, wow! To bad we don't have it here at that price!!

As for speckman's or Beethoven's, I can't recall them, so I guess not. What part of the city were they in? I know one place on 9th st. and one on O'Farrell, neither one is anyhing to boast about. But then most of the Thai places I've been to here leave a lot to be desired. It's hard to justify the high cost of eating

out in SFO.

smile.gif" border="0

I give Schroader's a shot one of these days, someone else told me about it as well. I haven't had a good Vienna schnitzel in a long time! Odd, but SFO has changed so much for the worse in the last few years, I hardly spend any time downtown anymore. Maybe a good schnitzel is cause to re-venture!!

• 3 weeks later...

Old hippie - thanks for tip on Bei Otto. I've been real disappointed in the German food I've had in BKK. When I take my GF to a beergarten she orders Thai or Chinese and I order sausages, potato salad, etc. Her food is always better than mine. The portions are large but the quality and taste is poor. The only good dish I've had lately was the hot German potato salad at the beergarten on Soi 23 across from Lolita's Corner.

Yea, once and a while, change in cuisine is needed. Bei Otto is pretty good as far as buffets go, especially the roast pork loin, most places kill it, but they do a good job on it! As I recall, they had 2 Thai salad type dishes on the table, neither one of us went for. A couple of the dishes were pretty home style, like I remember as a kid "just like Grandma used to make..." I never tried the regular menu, so I don't know for sure how it would be. But I would assume pretty good.

Bei Otto is great German food. Speckman's Restaurant in SF used to be at Duncan and Church st in the Mission and before that (long long time ago) was at 28th and Church St (bakery only). I think I heard that herr Speckman died (would be well into his 80s were he still alive) and that the restaurant closed down. Too bad.

Archived