buying a bicycle

jon46

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my bike in the Peace Corps for 900 baht in 1973! I'd be suspicious of a bike that goes for just 1,000 baht now -- 33 years later. :shocked:

p.s. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has thought of getting around Bangkok by bicycle these days. I see bike riders moving across town when everything else is not moving. :(

Mac and ND,

you're not alone, some early mornings in BKK I've seen groups of tourists on bicycle led by a guide on subsois so they traveled parallell with Sukhumvit direction Nana and further. One group was japanese, some others were farang, the japanese made me think about kamikaze pilots. :cool:

There is a company that offers bicycle tours of some older parts of Bangkok. But I can't imagine a bike tour of Sukhumwit!

p.s. I used to have a Dutch neighbour who would put her daughter on the back of her bike and pedal off to do her shopping at the market each day. But she waited until around 10 AM, when there was almost no traffic on the streets.

If you want a city bike that is one thing, but if you want a proper mountain bike or something more flash there is a place on Soi Nana proper that sells Cannondale.

The place is near the Zenith hotel with the logo ripped off from the old electronice company. The price is kind of high in the 30 to 60,000 baht range, but they are the real deal. I haven't shopped there, but have a friend who is a hash house harrier type who has, and said positive things.

They might have lower end bikes, and also might be able to point you towards whatever you want most importantly!!!! Networking is the key in Bangkok to get what you need. Somebody always knows it is just a matter of knowing them :beer:

BTW, anyone know a good contractor??? My painter/house guy has gone AWOL i.e. his cell phone no longer works :doah::banghead:

Thanks... and Cheers.

theNumbers

Archived