Another Excuse to Drink

Mekong

According to this logic, alcoholics should be stinking rich.

Flasher,

Nah.

"The study published in the Journal of Labor Research concluded that drinkers earn 10 to 14 per cent more than teetotalers, and that men who drink socially bring home an additional seven per cent in pay."

10 to 14 % more than teetotlers is all. And it says 'social drinkers' not alkies! :) I think it goes back to that old saying "Never trust a man who doesn't drink." :D Social lubricant. Drinking buddies help drinking buddies. More social contact that's all. Many a friendship or work contract is built over a couple brews or drinks.

Cent

"The study published in the Journal of Labor Research concluded that drinkers earn 10 to 14 per cent more than teetotalers, and that men who drink socially bring home an additional seven per cent in pay."

Cent

Would be interesting to hear what % of their income they spend on booze.

Define drink Cent. Are you referring to teetotalers

Bust,

"it was the "Never trust a man who doesn't drink." I was referring to."

:D Well, yeah, I guess this old saying I've heard my whole life growing up in the Boston area is directed toward teetotalers. Just can't trust a man who won't sit down and 'relax' over a drink or two is this feeling I get from those that spout this line. :) (Not my thinking just so's you know -- I wonder if this is an old Irish saying? :D Lots of Irish in Boston!)

Cent

p.s. Work is the curse of the drinking class. -Anonymous :smirk:

the most likely explanation is that drinkers have a wider range of social contacts that help provide better job and business opportunities.

"Drinkers may be able to socialize more with clients and co-workers, giving drinkers an advantage in important relationships," the researchers said.

The researchers are saying that drinking "causes" people to earn more money, and they may be absolutely right.

OTOH, its possible that higher earners are by definitiion under more stress with more responsibilities, leading them to drink. So earning more money "causes" people to drink, not the other way around.

Good point...i will drink to that :beer:

Archived