Heat Pumps in Thailand

Bangkoktraveler

Heat pumps are not all that efficient.

They are designed to cycle whatever

heat they get off the a/c compressor (outside ambient air) into the house (heating system).

You are using a heat pump when it is cold out

so not a lot of heat around.

Heat pumps are mostly used where natural gas

is not available.

If the cost of your electricity is dirt cheap,

then a heat pump is OK.

For Thailand, a small quartz, electric heater may be a lot less costly and do the job.

We live in the desert in the US. Most people have swamp coolers but when you really need cool air, swamp coolers do not work (like when we get monsoons). So what most people get instead of a swamp cooler is a heat pump. Store has 2 and house has one. Both store heat pumps run on 3-phase which is another savings and house's heat pump has two compressors - one small and one large.

Reason for wanting to know if anybody has one in Thailand is 1. familiar with heat pumps 2. climate is similar (at least temperature wise) with US house and Thailand hgouse.

In Sweden we use heat pump for

A device that warms building by transferring heat from a relatively low-temperature reservoir to one at a higher temperature.

while wikipedia gives a much wider definition

A heat pump is a machine which moves heat from a low temperature reservoir to a higher temperature reservoir under supply of work.

Common examples are:

refrigerators

air conditioners

gas compression heat pumps

phase change heat pumps

thermoelectric heat pumps that use the Peltier effect

geothermal exchange heat pumps

vortex tubes

wikipedia

What's your heat pump?

What I understand your heat pump gives you a constant temperature inside your house - adds heat or cool air? Same as in my car btw. OK, I've just seen normal air conditions in Thailand so just producing cool air or not. The brands are mostly japanese (even if manufactured in their Lam Chabang factories), so you can surely order your heat pumps, but expect long delivery time and expensive.

Archived