United States condemns Thai coup

OCgringo

the USA is spending billions of $$$ and thousands of soldiers lifes to push democracy onto people that may not want it ,

So what else can the USA say but that the condemn the coup and want democracy,

It does not seem to matter that Taskin and friends plundered the country , it was a democracy, thats what matters :(

OC

OC,

Yes, with America it is paying lip service to the 'it's all about democracy'. The problem is America seems to think and feel that only our form of democracy is the one that can be used around the world. It does not take into consideration lots of variables from other cultures and people who can possibly find their own brand of democracy that will work fine for them, even though it is not exactly the American form of democracy. And don't get me wrong, I am not saying I think this coup is righteous 100% at all. It is not 'democratic' to overthrow your government by force of arms. Especially a duly elected government that has won 2 landslide victories. What bothers me is that a lot of the time good-minded 'patriots' lead these coups and make all sorts of promises for letting go of power and having elections, then they seem to get that taste for having the power and become reluctant to let it go to the 'people' who they sometimes deem as too foolish and stupid to have the power to elect their government. It's a catch 22 where they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. And here it is a strange situation really where they have had this government elected twice with very large margins of victory. If they let it all go back to democracy and elections who's to say that the same people/power brokers will not take over again with new elections. And if they do, what then? Another coup?

The problem at times with America and its government is the hypocrisy and the arrogance that is displayed at times, and the ignorance. And the simple lack of understanding of other cultures at times as well. It does not sit well with many people around the world, and many people at home in the USA too.

Cent

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash,

Hahahahahaha! Hey, I am far from what others would consider a left wing radical. But I will admit to being far from a right wing neo-con or religious conservative right wing nutter as well. There are many of us middle of the road type American citizens who hate both radical party types and wonder when the hell the rest of the country will help start a middle of the road political party that uses 'common sense' as their guide to politics. Remember Thomas Paine? There are many of us like him still around.

Read this to refresh your memory of a right thinking man. 'Age of Reason' http://www.ushistory.org/Paine/reason/index.htm

and this: 'Common Sense' http://www.ushistory.org/Paine/images/header.gif

Tommy was my kinda guy. The man had it right as far as I am concerned. Hundreds of years ago he was the most modern thinker of his time, and his words are still valid and correct as far as I am concerned on these subjects. His writings on religion and politics is the most reasonable and intelligent I have ever read. And he is to this day one of the guides to what I think we should be striving for in our politics.

Cent

Heaven forbid. :smirk: As a citizen I have every right to express my displeasure of what my government does. It is my right. And I'll never give up that right or tell others they have no right to do the same, no matter where they are from. It is one of the basic rights of a truly free people, everywhere. Freedom of speech is one of the most important cornerstones of democracy. I'll defend everyones right to do the same, to the death. If we don't have freedom of speech, we have nothing, we are slaves.

Cent

Archived