Tallest Airport tower in the world --- 42 stories

gene1944

My significant other told me that the new Bangkok airport tower was going to be 42 stories high and I didn't believe her. I was wrong.

It will be 132.2 meters tall.

Searched around on the web to find out why it was built so tall and found the following at

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/forum/showthread.php?postid=1991

[color:red][/color]The tower was ordered by the Prime Minister (not part of the original plan) after he visited the Kuala Lumpur Airport with its 'world's tallest' tower. Its height is determined simply to be 1.5 meters higher than the one in Kuala Lumpur.

Even contractors at the airport will tell you there is no practical need for a tall tower. The airport is serviced by two practical control towers (one for the east runway and one for the west runway) and there are also 6 radar repeater towers on the site.

The giant tower is a prestige symbol ans symbol for the airport. As you know there is hot competition in the region for hub status as KL and Singapore have also poured billions into giant airports also[/color].

Amazing Thailand!!

Weeeeeeell, I don't know about all of this stuff but I have had some involvement and spent numerous days going up and down in the lifts of that tower. Yes it is tall, yes it is 'probably' the worlds tallest free standing ATC tower but Vancouver harbour ATC is taller, albeit on top of a tall building. It isn't really free standing either as it is attached to the 5 storey ATC complex. The airport terminal is also supposed to be the biggest single structure, or some such.

The East and West Apron towers are for emergency use only in the event of a 'problem' with the main tower, like, er, low cloud! They do not have full facilities nor are they big enough to accomodate such. Think I still have some pics taken from inside the main ATC tower if'n there is any interest.

What's with these radar repeaters? Never heard of such a thing? There are primary, secondary and weather radars all installed at seperate sites.

Cheers,

M.

Archived