Bans on selling alcohol on Royal family members' B-days lifted

waerth

Nation

September 27, 2006 Link

Bans on selling alcohol on Royal family members' B-days lifted

Interior Ministry revokes its order which bans selling of alcohol on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and Queen and other royal family members.

Sura-art Tongniramon, deputy permanent secretary for interior said that the ministry, has received several complaints from business operators of alcoholic drinks as well as owners of entertainment places that they suffered from the old order.

The ministry decided to revoke the order after being informed by the Royal Household Bureau that it does not have policy to prohibit the sales of the alcoholic drinks on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and those of the royal family members.

The ministry then informed the decision to all governors.

The next step would be to get rid of the stupid rule that bans alcohol sales between 2PM and 5PM that is enforced in all Supermarkets but is a Grey Area in Hotels / Bars.

Why can I not get a Drink at Dusit Hotel between 2 and 5 yet I can walk 100 meters down the Road to X-Change or O'Reilly's and get a drink?

(some text removed) Further away from BKK it has never been applied.

Unfortunately, it is applied here in Udon Thani, at least in places like 7-11, Tesco, and Big C. I have noticed the rule being ignored at a 7-11 in Bangkok recently.

It is somewhat surprising to see changes in regulations during this interlude. What next?

That idiotic rule that only lets you get sh*tfaced during lunch time and just before you go home from work is based on a "proclamation" of a "revolutionary council". The courts had already said such proclamations had no legal standing. Then again, we have a revolutionary council governing once more. :dunno:

The next step would be to get rid of the stupid rule that bans alcohol sales between 2PM and 5PM that is enforced in all Supermarkets but is a Grey Area in Hotels / Bars.

I was in Foodland on soi 5 about 2:30PM today and there were no signs regarding limited sale of alcohol. I asked if I can now buy beer, wine etc and they said "no problem, things have changed."

So apparently the law that restricted liquor sales at the grocery stores is no longer being enforced or at least not at Foodland.

Archived