Foodland - Soi 7 - Bangkok

Hamokhamok

Nothing baffles me more on this board than the 'I love Foodland - what a great place to eat' threads.

You sit there with your elbows almost touching the diners next to you, and with nothing to look at except the staff chopping up vegetables and frying eggs. It has to be one of the most uninspiring places to eat - and it ain't that cheap either!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BP,

Hey the place has atmosphere! LOL!

I really don't know why I eat there either, because it's convenient and familiar probably. The fact that they're open 24 hours is a big plus too, all my favourite restaurants are closed at 2.30 am! It's also a good place to people-watch.

I know there are a lot better places to eat than Foodland but I keep coming back.

Originally posted by DJ1999J:

"Hey the place has atmosphere!"

I completely agree. I love the place.

I only ever eat there in the early hours after quite a few beers.

In the good old days when the Thermae closed at 6am it was a great place to go after meeting up with your latest love at 5am in the Thermae, strolling down Sukhumvit into Foodland for a few more (very cold) draft beers and some Pad Thai before sanuking at about 8am.

Also love to see the ladies doing the cooking - terrific to watch.

Can get a bit crowded, but so what.

Fatbastard33

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

[QB]Nothing baffles me more on this board than the 'I love Foodland - what a great place to eat' threads.

You sit there with your elbows almost touching the diners next to you, and with nothing to look at except the staff chopping up vegetables and frying eggs. [QB]

Sounds like Blade Runner

"the Woolworth's Lunch Counter At the End of the Universe"

Great description but I gotta agree with BKK Phil, never really into it. I think it's too packed in and just too many farangs. I have a few street vendors very popular with Thais that I love to go to for cheap eats and great people watching.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: kohMarco ]

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

A different opinion: I hate the place. It's just like any "lunch" place back home. Foodland id the last place I need in Bangkok.

Where is home? So your place back home has Russian hookers, Thai BG's, Thai cops, Thai schoolgirls, Indians, Africans, Brits, Aussies, Americans, and various Euro folks seating at the counter?

quote:

Originally posted by shygye:

Where is home? So your place back home has Russian hookers, Thai BG's, Thai cops, Thai schoolgirls, Indians, Africans, Brits, Aussies, Americans, and various Euro folks seating at the counter?

No,we have Russian hookers, Roumainian hookers, Yougouslavian hookers etc, Belgian bg's, Belgian cops, Belgian schoolgirls, Indians, Africans, Brits, Aussies, Americans, and various Euro folks seating at the counter, but no som tam, which they don't have either at foodlsnd, so why go there anyway?

• 10 months later...

The second time I went to Thailand I stayed at the Amari Boulevard for the first 3 nights in Bangkok. The first night I was jet lagged and as I remember it was a Buddhist national holiday so Nana was closed. I went for a nap about 10 PM for an hour until I was woken up by my drunken mate, so we went out again. Strolled into foodland about 12 at night and couldn't I beleive it. Loads of people shopping at that time of night. We ate at the counter (mad atmosphere) and I got chatting to a Thai taxi driver. I lost my mate and the taxi driver drove me up to Soi Cowboy to see if it was open. Half of it was, so I bought him a beer in Tilac and and he drove me back to the hotel (no charge for the taxi). Quite a bizarre night really. Maybe its a bit squashed but there are plenty of characters. Can't ever imagine something like that happening in England.

Archived