Halong Bay with GF

Fidel

Halong Bay is beautiful. I've been there twice on day trips and not seen the same thing twice, it's massive.

If you're planning on a few days then you can get a trip on a boat where you can stay overnight on the boat as it hops around the Bay.

You can get a VN visa in BKK in 1 day, apply in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon, but of course this requires the payment of a special 'processing fee'. Otherwise it takes 4 working days.

I'd recommend staying in Ha Noi and seeing the sights if you have the time, a peaceful laid back city after Bangkok. Except for the traffic!

Sorry I don't have any details handy at the moment and I'm off to Ho Chi Minh City tomorrow so can't post more.

P.S. Thais don't need visas, they get 1 month on arrival courtesy of ASEAN.

I'd do a couple of nights in Hanoi, and also do a 1 night trip to Halong Bay. Make sure you book a trip that includes a stay on a boat - don't stay on Cat Ba or any of those other islands. They're ordinary.

There's a lot of places in Hanoi in the main traveller's area (a street called Hung Gai - sorry about the spelling) where you can book a trip out there. A lot of hotels have a tour booking desk and will be able to help you too.

Halong Bay's beautiful, but 2 days/1 night is enough. Otherwise it all gets a little bit same same.

Archived