New "BKK" Airport Update

cavanami

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The gate areas are too small with seating for only 50% or less of paxs. Another fundamental design flaw.

i can't second that! I flew in an entirely packed (405 passengers) Boeing 747-400 two days ago and every passanger had a seat at the gate! The only problem was that the chairs were made from steel and damn fucking cold which can cause some serious kidney disfunctions :)

How many airports you know have enough seats at the gates for their passengers?

Problem with Don Muang was that the "powers that be" let people build up the area all around it. Thus it would cost a lot to purchase the land for an airport expansion. However, I think it would surely have been cheaper than building at Cobra Swamp.

Also, the RTAF has plenty of land at Don Muang, including the site of the RTAF Academy. But the Air Farce didn't want to give it up.

re: don muang business:

you (or any travler) stopped at a don muang area business?

business / restuarants / housing for airport employees?

freight handlers / warehousing?

non-christian tex

just seeing the word christian has become a 'red flag in front of a bull' to me.

amazing what the overtly pious & consistantly idiot fundis have done to that word.

a word that was inoquous only a few years ago, has become a 4 letter word to so many.

OK Texas...look at DFW airport...it is as large as some small countries!

Do the "officials" look at what good other sirports did??? daaaaaaahhhh, do we have to re-invent the wheel everytime????

The land around Cobra Swamp was bought up by the people in the know! Same as the airport that they wanted to put on the far south side of Chicago!

Politicians cash in...average Joe gets to bend over and doesn't even get a reach around :mad:

At other airports you are able to spread out to adjacent gates (DTW, NRT, LAX, ARN, ATL, etc). The design of BKK gates makes this impossible.

Why should a new airport make the same mistake as older airports with poor seating?

At other airports you are able to spread out to adjacent gates (DTW, NRT, LAX, ARN, ATL, etc). The design of BKK gates makes this impossible.

Why should a new airport make the same mistake as older airports with poor seating?

Yes, very sad when mistakes are repeated.

As they say...when you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it!

Because ( i said that in another thread) this airport was designed to look good but isn't very functional imo! I can't agree that there haven't been enough seats at gate c1a, everyone was seated before they where sent in a time consuming process to the busses where I would have been exposed to a monsoon (:cussing: :onfire: :banghead::cussing:)if I wasn't the first passangeron the bus!!!

The too small arrival hall is a fundamental design flaw. :doah:

The gate areas are too small with seating for only 50% or less of paxs. Another fundamental design flaw.

Continually having to change levels (going up and down escalators) is another design flaw.

I am sure the flaws were introduced during the several redesigns to reduce costs. These flaws will be with us for decades. :banghead:

The sizes of the arrival hall doesnt concern me too much as long as they rope off a path to allow arriving passengers to exit. Same, same with International Terminal at ORD. Long but much too shallow and everyone gathers around the exit. They put up ropes to herd the people waiting for passengers like cattle.

I am hearing conflicting reports on the seating availability at the gates, some saying not nearly enough seats while others stating the opposite. Hopefully the lounges will be finished by the time I arrive and I wonâ??t have to experience this first hand. :o

The multiple floors make absolutely no sense. :mad:

My point was that this was the first review that I had read that was not totally negative in tone. Considering that the airport was basically forced to open well before it was ready and all new airports experience growing pains early on, there appears to be some hope. At the very least the Thai military will have their own airport now and wonâ??t need to shut down the airspace over Suvarnabhumi during the middle of the day for unannounced training exercises.

Archived