EDGE Wireless through DTAC?

Gadfly

Gaddy,

Do a Search over the past 12 months or so in Technology, I have probably posted on half a dozen threads about this topic.

Brief Synopsis.

There are 2 types of PCMCIA "Aircard" one that is only capabale of GSM connection and the other that can do GSM/GPRS and Global EDGE Personaly I use a Sierra Wireless 775 Quad Band. GSM connection is approx 48 kbs EDGE is approx 240kbs.

On ESB EDGE network coverage is available in Sri Racha, Pattaya, Sattahip, Map Ta Phut and Rayong (from personal experience) in Pattaya it is only available west of Sukhumvit and maybe 2-3 KM East of it last time I tried that side of the lines.

Central BKK Coverage is good, but when out in places Like Miniburi EDGE is (was) not available.

Cost

PCMCIA Card 13,000 Baht 14 months ago may be less now

DTAC Account 650 Baht / month for 140 hours, 3 baht / hour for additional useage.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently looked into getting a pcmcia edge card for my laptop and ultimately decided it was a better deal to just buy a marvelous new Nokia 6233 cell phone (currently about 10,900 baht give or take a couple of hundred). This sleek marvelous little phone has a fantastic display, bluetooth, stereo speakers (if you can believe that) and more germane to this thread can handle GPRS, EDGE class 10, and WCDMA 2100 (3G) data which is even more than the EDGE cards can do in the data department. Although here in Thailand the 3G capabilities of the phone are useless as no network here supports 3G. However, if you ever are in a 3G area or if 3G ever becomes available in Thailand, the phone is capable of providing near broadband data connection speeds on such a network. On top of all that it is a fantastic triband plus 3G cellphone, mp3 player, fm radio, etc. etc. all for less than or just slightly more than the cost of one of those PCMCIA cards depending on the card.

I just connect it to my laptop with a special Nokia USB 2.0 cable designed to plug into the phone (although I could also use the phone's bluetooth to connect to the PC) and then use the phone as a USB modem to connect to AIS's GPRS/EDGE network (although I've heard that DTAC's data network is superior but is more expensive). It is really simple to set up and connect using the Nokia software the phone comes with, although you have to purchase the data cable separately if you want to use one of those. The connection is rock solid.

You might think that the phone's battery would run down pretty quick when it is being used as a USB modem to connect to an EDGE network and it does only last an hour or two, unless you keep it plugged into its charger. If that is done the phone can maintain an online connection indefinitely (well I have tested it for at least 10 continuous hours with no interruptions in service due the battery running out as long as the charger is plugged in.

So in summary, if you can put up with having to keep the phone connected to a charger when using it for more than an hour as a computer modem, I think you get a lot more for your money buying a new Nokia 6233 or another mobile with similar capabilities instead of one of those PCMCIA cards.

You can use your regular AIS sim to get GPRS/EDGE data access (which is what allows you to send and receive email) on your phone or blackberry assuming the devices support it. You may have to stop by a Telewiz Shop and have them activate a data plan for you on your sim. I think with no plan they charge one baht per minute for GPRS/EDGE access and I think you still have to get your sim activated for it. AIS has various plans starting as low as 30 baht per month for 4 hours of data connection time, which if your just using it for email should be more than enough. Or you could just skip any plan and just get charged one baht per minute and see how that goes for you. But either way, I think you have to get the service activated on your sim and the gals at a Telewiz shop can do it for you in a couple of minutes. Or you can call AIS and probably set it up yourself over the phone.

One addendum to my post above about using a cell phone instead of a pcmcia card for connecting a laptop to the internet via GPRS/EDGE: I just discovered that Nokia also sells a special data cable (model CA-70) that also charges the battery of compatible phones while the phone is connected to the laptop's USB port, eliminating the need to keep the phone connected to its regular charger during long internet surfing sessions. I haven't tried it so I can't say how well it works but I would be hesitant to use it unless I was running it from a "powered" USB hub.

Archived