Thaksin wish to return

Mentors

THE NATION today

Government is not nervous over Thaksin's globe trotting : PM :hmmm:

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is welcome to talk with the government if he does not agree with the idea that he should return to Thailand after one year's time, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Wednesday.

Thaksin has the right to travel wherever he wants and the government is not nervous about his globetrotting, Surayud said.

"But if Khun Thaksin wants to come back to Thailand, he should talk to the government first," he said. "I think he should return after one year's time. But if he does not think so, he can talk to us. We welcome it."

Moreover, the government has no idea to revoke Thaksin's diplomatic passport.

"We have no problems with Khun Thaksin wandering from country to country or using a diplomatic passport that he obtained during his time in the government. He can travel wherever he wants. We honour him," Surayud said.

"I am not nervous over Thaksin's movements," he continued. "I want to make it clear that the government does not worry that he will try to talk to other countries' leaders about the country's situation. It is his right."

The latest notion to strip Thaksin of his diplomatic status came after he and his wife Pojaman, who have been popping up in various cities around the world, surfaced in a Hong Kong shopping mall where they were hounded by journalists and photographers

However Surayud said that he would consult with Foreign Ministry which is in charge of consular and protocol affairs about the nature of ordinary and diplomatic passports.

Asked whether Thaksin's diplomatic passport should be revoked now that he was ousted, Surayud said the government would honour him as long as he did nothing wrong.

He said Thaksin's globetrotting would not have any impact on the government.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived