Acupuncture?

adawes

Where in Bangkok have you gone for this, and what was the result and price?

When I looked for it in the farang phone book in the hotel last time, there were no listings. The only place I found while wandering around was in a sub-soi near Soi 33, and it was offered, along with a dozen other medical services, in the same room, so I passed. I've never been to Chinatown in Bangkok, so I assume there might be places there.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the accupuncture clinic, at St. Louis Hospital, had three treatments, and consumed six packages of Chinese herbs. While none of the problems I went there for were actually cured, it was an interesting experience.

The clinic is just a few steps (or short ramp) down from the main floor. I had to register at the big round counter out front, and saw the doctor (or mister, as some signs/brochures referred to him) without much delay. The nurse had to translate for us.

The accupuncture itself consisted of the doctor/mister sticking at least a half dozen needles along one side, one in my belly, and another half dozen on the other side. There were at least two different diameter needles used. I swear the ones he stuck in my head were the biggest ones. One was below my ear while the other was up and behind it. These were the most uncomfortable, and kind of reminded me of the pain that a dentist can inflict. They definitely each went into a nerve.

A nurse handled the rest. A heat lamp was placed just over the needle in my stomach, while a pulsating electric current was ran through two sets of electrodes on each side (electricity was ran between the two needles in my head, and between the two needles in my arms, on both sides). The needles in my legs and feet apparently didn't need to be zapped. I was given a bell to ring if there was a problem. The room had a pleasant and relaxing herb odor. After the initial insertion, there was little pain. When the doctor removed the needles at the end, there was blood on some of them, which is why any reputable accupuncturist will only use disposable needles.

As for the herbs themselves, I got three big packages on my first visit. I was told to use one package every two days. First soak a package in 750 ml of water for 20 minutes, boil the stuff for 40 minutes, and then drink the liquid. I thought the hotel kitchen would cook them up for me, but they wouldn't. So, I got a cheap hot water heater from Foodland, and made a total mess, plus wasn't able to cook the stuff the way the doctor ordered. What I ended up with tasted pretty horrible, and was probably worthless.

On my next visit they explained they also sold an automatic ceramic electric pot, specifically for cooking Chinese herbs, so I bought it from them, for about 500 baht. It worked like a champ. Of the 750 ml of water I started with, I ended up with maybe 3/4 of a coffee cup of liquid, which continued to taste horrible. Still, the smell of the stuff cooking was pleasant, and two of my Thai visitors remarked that it was, "Very aroma."

At first the nurse said I should get a replacement for the initial package of herbs that I didn't cook properly. But the pharmacy was running behind, so we decided I'd get the replacement on the next visit. On the next visit the doctor said he wanted to change the prescription, though the next three packages after the first three all sure looked, smelled, and tasted exactly the same to me. I used bottled water, having discovered that 750 ml bottles are readily available at 7-11 etc. When I left, I gave the pot to the housekeeping staff.

I was afraid the herbs would rip through me, but I was fine for the entire trip. I ate a lot of street food, especially fruit, almost every day, brushed my teeth using water from the faucet, and never once had the runs. In fact, I was actually never better in that particular department.

My vacation was for two weeks, and I was to get four treatments. Unfortunately, on the last day, they were running way behind, and I still had lots of things to do before flying out, the next day. After waiting a half hour past my appointment time, and seeing several people still in front of me, I decided I had to leave. Just as I was getting to the counter, a Thai guy started throwing a tantrum, saying he had been waiting a long time, and so on. He then stormed out. I smiled at the nurse, and quietly said, "Me, too."

So, nothing was accomplished, my orgasms were about the same, and I still had all the physical problems I started with. But, it was something I've always wanted to do, and all the personnel were pleasant to deal with. The cost wasn't outrageous (the herbs double the cost of a visit). The main downside was having to transfer on the Skytrain at Silom in each direction. That station is still a mess, with no stairways available, so everyone has to line up for the few small escalators. This was especially brutal during rush hour.

Archived