Friends on the Floor...

the_numbers

This is kind of an expat question, but also kind of ties into ways people host mates visiting Thailand. I have a friend coming in who wants to stay at mine, which is fine and should be good fun :beer: I don't want to put him on the couch though for comfort's sake and thus have a quagmire.

Do you make friends crash at hotels??? :dunno:

My problem is that I could get a nice air mattress with a top padding in the west that made for a good bed in the living room for guests. 0 Luck in LOS doing the same.

I feel a bit shabby putting them on a "thai bed" or cushioned floor contraption :( Anyways I guess inflatable mattresses and inflatable women are both hard to find in this country.

Cheers,

theNumbers

I am lucky to have lots of room at my place. But when family came I had to put 150000 into the room to bring it up to their standards. A hotel would have been cheaper but less convenient. Now I have the room finished.

Before when I did not have the space I would rent them a nearby apt. ( not hotel)

I am very careful about this. I own condo - recently re-done (I need to post somewhere else about the nightmare of dealing with Thai contractors) and it has a guest room, BUT I have a very strict no guests rule. Indeed, I won't bring BGs back to my condo; I have a second place in the lower Sukhumvit area devoted exclusively to that. Consequently, there is no way I am going to have a guest break that rule by bringing back a guest when I go to the trouble and expense of having a second place to avoid the problems associated with bringing BGs back to my condo. I don't want BGs in my place, I don't want my neighbours seeing BGs trooping out of my place in the morning and I certainly don't want any BGs to know where I live.

But even after I make this rule absolutley clear, after a few drinks and late into the night, some friends - who wanted to save a few Baht and stay at a nice place - start pressing me to make an exception. I won't and I don't, and this creates a bit of friction. So now, if I have an inkling that this might come up, and I steer them in the direction of a hotel at the outset. Avoids alot of grief.

Yep, hotels are cheap enough, and it is best for both you and your visiting buddies. I mean, they save what? 1,000 baht or so a night to stay at your place? WTF? Rooms, decent rooms, can be had for 700 or 800 baht. Unless they are in the poorhouse I see no reason they cannot grab a cheap room somewhere. If you had a big house and/or live away from it all in the boonies, that is a different story.

Cent

I am lucky to have lots of room at my place. But when family came I had to put 150000 into the room to bring it up to their standards. A hotel would have been cheaper but less convenient. Now I have the room finished.

Before when I did not have the space I would rent them a nearby apt. ( not hotel)

Sounds like a good idea. How much for an apt for one month?

i have to say during the years i have made unfortunately some pretty bad experiences with hosting friends at my LOS apartment.

some announced to stay for 2-3 days and stayed for 2-3 weeks, which is not the worst case as i have quite some space and they get their own guest room and also i do not mind the 2000-3000 baht extra electricity costs if they cool down their room to freezer temperature 24/7.

no worse is if they have the expectation that i bring them permanently to some tourist places, for example my 48. time to the Grand Palace or my 35. time speeding with a longtail boat through Thonburi's channels.

and some others have taken back so ugly BG's that i had to bribe security guards as pets are not allowed in the apartments.

One friend of mine left his friend with a key and told him "one rule no hookers". The guy came back around and discovered from present evidence the guy had not only brought a hooker back, but had fucked the girl in his bed, and tried to conceal the fact.

Dead giveaway was the Buriram beauty watching telly when he came home with the shower running :o :o A sloppily made bed in his room and a condom wrapper kicked under the foot of the bed

:eek:

Luckily my visitor this time is a ladyfriend. So, I was probably going to take the air mattress if I could find one and give up my room for her. Being a solo traveler and newbie to the region it is probably best to be hospitable even though she's got plenty of $$.

Cheers,

theNumbers

I have friends in Bkk who would put me up if I asked and who have actually asked me if I wanted to stay at their places. However I would never want to stay with them as I would never consider taking a BG back to a friends house and would therefore deprive myself of part of the reason for coming to LOS.

Archived