Interested in renting a Mobile phone

whosyourdaddy

I am looking for some feedback from board members. I have a couple of extra mobiles around and am thinking about starting a little business of renting phones out to tourists in the area who want to keep in touch with loved ones and new Thai friends. They will be one-2 -call phones so no outgoing international calls. The the user will just pay the going rate for the phone calls plus a weekly/daily charge for the phone. Just wondering what people though.. What would be a fair weekly rate for the phone. deposit? etc.. thanks for your ideas.

WYD wink.gif" border="0

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WYD,

I was just getting ready to ask the question, Can I just rent a cel phone for my 2 weeks in BKK and Pattaya. I wanted to read all the postings first, not to get flamed because the information might have been covered. I read the travel reports, and see how they are used for contact with the BG, and calling back the hotel for messages and calling other farangs.

Anyway I would be interested to have a cel phone available for the time I"m in the LOS.

LeoTex

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: LeoTex ]

WYD,

check out the AIS site for rentals.

They require a hefty deposit etc. If you dropped the deposit to half I think you would do ok.

Sorry I don't know the url.

Might see you Sat arvo..... wink.gif" border="0

Cheers for the website

WOW are they expenive.......... Here they are

Conditions for Daily Rental of a Cellular GSM Phone

Rental charge:

Rental period 1 - 14 days 250 baht per day

Rental period 15 days or more 150 baht per day

Call rates:

Domestic Call 6.00 baht per minute

Long Distance Call 12.00 baht per minute

International Call 10.00 baht per minute + CAT charges

Remark: VAT is not included.

Deposit by credit card only: 30,000 baht per phone plus accessory set 5,000 baht for airtime usage

Documents required: a copy of passport

shocked.gif" border="0

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

"I was thinking more of the line 1000 per week plus drop off and pick up charges plus about 6500 in deposit..."

It's not particularly cheap, considering I've seen second-hand mobile phones in MBK for 1,500 - 2,000 Baht. Of course it depends on the model.

I'm a bit confused as to what happened to mobile prices in Bangkok. They used to be incredibly high but now they seem to have crashed.

The other day I replaced one of my older phones with an Ericsson R320s. I'd bought another one before in Singapore, for about 5,000 Baht. Two months or so ago in Thailand it cost a shameless 20,900 Baht; the one I just bought at MBK, brand-new, cost me only 5,500!

Strangely, the phone wasn't displayed at the shop counter but they got it from some store-room, where they said they had still more of the same model. My suspicion is that it's stuff fallen of the truck, some big illegal heist. But then it might not be. It's not my duty to find out, is it.

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

1500-2000 bhat will buy you a shit mobile... plus you have to buy a sim card etc. The average phone still goes for about 7000 bhat.. so hence the deposit.

yes the prices have come down.. they basically had to as they were too high.. people were complaining that other countries basically gave them away..

"Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

"1500-2000 bhat will buy you a shit mobile... plus you have to buy a sim card etc."

For that amount you get an Ericsson A1018s for example - not a bad phone! For 1,000 Baht you get a second-hand SIM card (One-2-Call).

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

WYD:

I think it is an excellent idea. My last trip to LOS in April, we were two couples traveling all over Issan and we often split up from each other. I looked into renting cell phones before we left but I thought the prices(the same ones that you quoted) were unreasonable. We really could have used at least 2 cell phones. In Koh Chang,near Trat,

there was virtually no phone service on the whole island. I could've use them there also.

If you do start this business, I think that you would have to have a good web site that is available through most search engines.

Good luck, Jay

Archived