shipping to Thailand duty free?

dean

I've had lots of rosewood furniture shipped to the U.S. and only had a problem with two of the panals craking. I bought both of the cabinet doors back on a flight to LOS as checked luggage and they were replaced and shipped back with other furniture that I had bought. Of the teak furniture that I've bought, only a indoor teak bench developed a 1/8 inch crack from one end of the sitting area to the other. Last week, I brought back enother teak wood in my suitcase to cut to the size of the crack (actually slightly larger and tapered so it fits in the crack adn stays with wood glue). I would hand sand the wood down and then stain and finish with laquer. I also brought back seat cushions for it (the sitting area and back support) and the other 11 teak chairs that I have here and will eventually sell (I bought these cheap and should have no trouble selling them for at least what paid for them). I've been told in Chiang Mai that it is much better to buy a piece of furniture from "old wood," meaning teak that has been taken from an old house, an ox cart or something that is older than 30 years old to begin with. Many shops use newer teak wood, either cut ilegally in Thailand or imported, and these products made from this wood can cause much shrinkage. I also import teak doors but import them unfinished, so if there is a little shrinkage, it can be corrected by either filling or sanding.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived