shipping to Thailand duty free?

dean

Hi Dean:

yes I think your timing is going to hurt your sales, do you have a local furniture store that will take it on consignment ? you will get a decent price if its sitting in a store , especially if they put an add in the paper about a new shippment just in,

Paying storage for years eats up all your profits , I have seen guys pay storage on cars for 10 years and later sell the car for $500 :(

to me it seems like taking ice to Eskimos , when you take it back to where you bought it from !

Good luck , let me know oif you need some help

OC

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I have noticed the irony in shipping rosewood furniture back to Thailand. And paying twice to move it. I do need to think of the best way to stock my new house in Chiang Mai and get rid of the furniture here that is just costing me storage fees. I'm looking at it from this angle and will investigate the Thai angle while over there after Thanksgiving. I will go by the one Thai handicrafts shop in the K.C. area and see if they are interested in selling some of the furniture on consignment. Thanks for the offer of help, OC. Maybe, I'll take you up on it.

Hire a thai customs broaker to make the proper "payments"

Agree with this. Brought in a container of belongings from Singapore 2 years ago, no work permit at the time. Shipping agent (major international company) said pay 30k now or wait for whatever customs come up with in a few weeks. Paid and container showed up next day.

Still seems like money well spent.

TH

It not exactly over $7,000-8,000 dollars. I bought most of the furniture when the exchange rate was 42-44 to the dollar (so a 10-15% difference over now) and most of the rosewood furniture I bought was in Bangkok or Pattaya. Chiang Mai is not a hot bed of rosewod furniture (I have seen one place and have already bought a round rosewod table, Chinese style). So, it probably would cost me closer to $10,000 to replace what I've got. But you are right about the anguish is waiting to see what has been broken in shipment (I'm not too concerned about customs except how they treat the furniture when they make their inspection). I'll make a concerted effort in contacting as many shops in the next 10 days before Thanksgiving to see if they are interested in taking the furniture on consignment (or companies that do estate sales, as long as I have a minimun figure that I would net if it sold). But if nothing serious develops, it gets shipped the last week of the year. I won't go on paying storage fees indefinately. I had all of this figured out that I would have 2-3 months this last summer to sell the furniture (I did sell some in an estate sale that my sister ran) but breaking my arm and tearing some ligaments in July screwed those plans up. I'll jsut have to make the best of the options that I have left.

If I did sell the rosewood furniture, I'd probably limit myself to looking for Teak furniture in the Chiang Mai area. It's amazing what you can find while looking for teak lumber/logs for your new house. I found a double sized teak bed sitting under a canope at a family run lumber shop on the side of the road in Lampaun (sp)that I bought for 5,000 bath and can re-finish it myself or pay someone 1,000 baht to do it. I've already bought 3 queen sized old teak beds for 9,000 baht a piece (I have 4 bedroms) and have seen other old teak furniture sitting at these shops, in good condition, just needing to be re-finished. So, thats either going to be furniture for my house or possibly furniture that i'd buy, have re-finished and sell in the U.S. (I'd probably sand it in LOS and then wait to re-finish it in the U.S. to see what, if any, shrinkage had occured. I'm having a rather large garage built nest to my house. It could hold anything that I bought until I have enough to ship a 20 foot container to the U.S. I have a lot of relatives living in the Knasa City area. I wish that I could "loan" them the furniture for 3-4 years until I come back to Kansas City, at least part time, and buy a house. I will post what I finally have to do with the rosewood furniture.

Archived