shipping to Thailand duty free?

dean

I'm still exploring what to do with the rosewood furniture that I've bought over the last 10 years and is now in storage, costing $230 every month. I was told by several Thai's, including a shipping company in Chiang Mai, that the duty on goods shipped back to Thailand would be horrendous. Yesterday, I talked to a shipping company out of New Jersey that does quite a bit of shipping to Thailand. He said that anyone in Thailand with a one year visa can get one 20 foot container shipped without any duty charged. Electronics, liquor, ciggarattes, autos and motorcycles and art and antiques are exempt from this rule and are charged duty. If I can send my furniture and irish crystal over for $5000-$7,500 (depending on whether I pack and load the container and take insurance out), its a no brainer for me. Has anyone heard of this or had it done?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this could be the rule ,

but what is the reality when the container is sitting there ?

I once had a container unloaded (at my expense) by USA customs ,

real pain in the ass, the the unloaders do not really care about your stuff ,

its probably worse in Thailand :(

Dean if I was you , unless you really loved your stuff is sell it before you leave , or pack it in so much bubble pack and take pictures for the customs guys and a few "gifts"

OC

From what I understand, I would be at whatever place Thai customs decides to look at the container, and present my one yer visa (probably retirement visa) and a gratuity so they go through the process quickly and break as little as possible. I've gone through having stuff shipped here and having U.S. customs go through a container and damaging a few things, so I imagine that its worse in Thailand. My options are to sell the furniture (I tried a 4 day estate sale in August and sold a few things but most people were offering 20% of what I was asking, and I'm not going to take $200 for a piece that I paid $1,000 for. I would have a worst time selling it now, with the Christmas season and cold weather coming up. I can give it to relatives which is an option. I can keep it in storage and pay $300 per month for 3-4 years until I decide to possibly live in the U.S. part time and buy a house. There are no good options here. For a 3% charge of the declared value, I can have the stuff insured for breakage (I filed a claim once for brakage from LOS to my house and it was through a Hong Kong insurance company and it took many e-mails and calls, documentation and 8 months to get 75% of what I claimed as damages). I don't have any senimental attachment to the furniture but it would cost me $25,000 to replace it in LOS and the most I could get for it in short notice in the U.S might be $10,000. Isn't it worth paying $7-8,000 to ship it, if no duty is charged?

I forgot to mention that I'll be back in LOS November 26 and then leave for the u.S. again December 20 and return finally to LOS on January 11. In the time that I'm back in lOS, I'll check on both the duty free aspect and sipping charges with the shipper that I use out of Chiang Mai (he doesn't speak much English and didn't offer the suggestion of the one yer visa to avoid duty, so I'm leery of using him). Anyway, I'll either ship it or Goodwill will have one of its bigger donations at the end of the year.

Having gone to Thaivisa and read the government regulations, the retirement visa is out but it doesn't say anything about a marriaage visa (which I'll probably use anyway, as the financial requiremnts to get the visa are less). Since I have only furniture, it doesn't seem that the duty would be very high. I guess that I have my work cut out for me when returning to LOS on November 26.

Archived