Bangkok: Shooting Itself In The Foot

MooNoi

Cent

good idea to give discounts for the expats on the other hand the expats are usually the ones who are married or have a girlfriend! The majority of them doesn't barfine anymore and lives either from retirement funds or is working for a company in Thailand and don't make the same bucks as at home! They are usually not so crazy anymore because they live here, that usually results in less spending power while a tourist who has a budget for 2 weeks and an ATM card for emergencies usually go home with empty pockets!

It is good to have expats in your bars and there is a bunch of them with big spending power but the majority sits 3 hours and zips 3 beers!

On Walking Street a few bars started a "buy one get 2 initative", to my astonishment in one of my favorite empty bars which is now packed in 3 layers of fat farangs ;) other bars saw that and took over this marketing idea and it seems to work for them too! There is a pretty good chance that this will become an established methond and that there will always be a handful of bars who are giving you 2 drinks for the price of one!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here we go !

Just want to clear up that amongst other things, I do still have a bar business in Pattaya so this is from the horse's mouth.

High season / low season ? yes there is one but you don't raise prices in the former as to lower them in the latter would invoke calls of "last week I paid xyz and now its only abc baht". However, if I could charge Bt200 or Bt500 for a beer I would. Why ? because I am in business.

I remember when Patpong was the most expensive, then Cowboy then Nana. The flux changes over time for sure but in the last couple of years, the public perception has been that Nana was the most expensive, then Patpong with Cowboy offering the most beer and pussy for your baht.

A couple of weeks ago, I learned that Cowboy was Bt125 for a beer with an excuse of alcohol taxes going up. On spirits yes, but beer ? bollocks. So Cowboy jumps into the rip off league once again. What the fuck the daft bastards charge in Soi 33 I wouldn't even consider asking.

So to Pattaya. The airport is now nearer, so piss of Bangkok for the yanks flying in via Taipei and Narita arriving at 12am - 2am. And you can have a beer and pussy at anytime you want, unlike Bangers (somewhat).

Cheaper hotels, far more enjoyable daytime activities (seen enough Bangkok temples to design one myself), cheaper for everything from hotels to beer to pussy. No stupid Bt3000+ LT here mate, Bt1000-1500 rules the roost though there are some stupid fuckers paying OTT (because it is cheaper then back home). All I want to say to them is bloody well stay home then if that is all you can think about.

Bt125/135 for a beer is profiteering and so is barfines above say Bt400/500. I have discussed girls' salaries to death here and elsewhere and every time there are punters who know jack shit telling me I'm talking bollocks. Well, you come and pay my girls' salaries then I say ! The basic reality is that in go-gos, the runaway train that is the headline salary has gone so far over the cliff that cutting the girls' salaries for missed quotas does not make up the difference. I by the way use the carrot and not the stick and have no quotas or targets to achieve.

So will I be spending my time in Bangers, bollocks will I and neither are the guys who used to have a couple of days there at the beginning and end of a Pattaya trip. I'll take Bt130 in the Blues Factory for a beer as there is a fair decent live band on. Paying Bt130 for a one on, one off, go-go shuffle with overweight tarts wearing clothes is a no-no.

Not really defending Pattaya here but just stating that Bangers has shot itself in the foot and stupidly so.

I think drinks going up is normal. THailand isnt immune from inflation, or any other reason thatg might increase prices. Maybe rent has gone up,girls want more money etc. Everything goes up in price in any society. I dont find drinking in Bangkok too expensive. There are plenty of good cheap places where you can go first and get some beers down your neck, then like cent said move on to a gogo bar. Theres ways round everything I ve found if you compromise. Drinks have doubled in price here in the uk in a decade.

cheers

chris

There are some really nice looking girls in The Siren Boxing complex in Pattaya. Many of what many punters would refer to as "gogo standard". (And then again, a lot who aren't! :grin: )

But generally friendly girls at most of the bars in there IMHO.

It's just so damn hot sitting in there! :(

Why do some bars in Bangkok charge more than bars in Pattaya? Because they can.

If prices are too high, there is a very effective means of correcting those prices - the market. If these price differences were significant enough to Bangkok customers that it would cause them to switch bars, they would do so. But they don't. I suspect they don't because there are only so many bars where you can get the 'Soi Cowboy ambience' in Bangkok.

I was out last night, and all of the Soi Cowboy bars I visited were packed. But none of the NEP bars were packed. And the Soi Cowboy bars were charging a bit more for drinks. What does that tell us?

Pattaya has a much larger supply of bars that show. That is why price matters more in Pattaya.

The problem with SC and NEP is that a few people own most of the bars, ironically that works in the Pongs favour...it's mostly owned by one group who have thus far kept the price stable, but for how long? So you have centres of mongering operating as near monopolies...no real competition in each centre and what there is appears to mysteriously conform/follow suit...

Face it, it's not going to change. It will get worse. Tourists will always come, drinks are a huge source of profit...rip off? Sure, but it's basic supply and demand and it's business...it's just a shame that the quality of the ladies on offer doesn't match the drinks prices...SC has some rough lookers!!!

Archived