No More Tax At Bangkok Airport

MooNoi

Just found out that for all tickets purchased after November 1, if travel date is February 1, 2007 or after, the Thai departure tax will now be included as part of the ticket. :)

So no more having to pay it at the airport in Bangkok. :):)

About time.

It *IS* going up to 700 baht, however. :(

Still, one less thing to have to remember.

As one poster said a while back with regards to paying the 500B... "It's like having to bar fine yourself before you leave the country!" :grin:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently had to change a return ticket to the states and switched it to September 9, 2007. I assume that the fee windows will be open indefinately and I'll still have to pay it. I go back to lOs on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and come back to the U.S. on December 19, so I'll ask on arrival in LOS if I have to save 500 or 700 baht to leave. Too bad for the 3-4 persons maning the booths but they can alway move them bck to the old airport, where therer are still some plane (mainly charters) landing and a full customs staff has to be kept in place for 2-3 landings a day.

Just found out that for all tickets purchased after November 1, if travel date is February 1, 2007 or after, the Thai departure tax will now be included as part of the ticket. :)

So no more having to pay it at the airport in Bangkok. :):)

Let's hope someone tells this to the Thais... ;)

Should be a confusing few months as some ticket holders will have paid the tax, while others will still owe it... one last opportunity to double-charge us as well exit the country? I'm glad I already have my tickets.

Hm, I wonder if the difference in airport "tax" (actually an airport fee) - 200 baht - is the airline share of the fee? My guess is that the thai authorities will give the responsibility to the airlines, so it's up to them to charge you extra or not.

It shouldn't be too confusing. I used to go quite a bit to St. Maarten, which also has a ticket window for the departure tax, which is now $30. Two years ago, some airlines started charging the tax while some still do not. There is a list of taxes listed on your boarding pass. You can alway call your airline and ask before the flight or ask at check in. At least in St. Maarten, the person running the departure tax window is honest and will look at your ticket to see if the tax had been paid. I hope that Thais are as honest.

I recently had to change a return ticket to the states and switched it to September 9, 2007. I assume that the fee windows will be open indefinately and I'll still have to pay it.

Dean,

They probably won't keep the windows open, but in a situation like yours it will be collected by the airline at the check-in desk.

Bangkok's got some boring jobs, but having a job where you punch a whole in everyone's departure tax ticket as they enter immigration really must come close to the most boring!

Archived