No More Tax At Bangkok Airport

MooNoi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They probably won't keep the windows open, but in a situation like yours it will be collected by the airline at the check-in desk.

Bangkok's got some boring jobs, but having a job where you punch a whole in everyone's departure tax ticket as they enter immigration really must come close to the most boring!

they probably came in low on the nepotism ranking

i have never experienced that you had to pay airporttax at check in counter.

however Shanghai and Seoul had some transition period, where tax was included on some tickets and not on others and they kept the tax counter open for some time. they would tell you at check in counter, whether tax is included and stamp boarding pass accordingly

Yeah, I don't think they've changed their policy, I just don't recall it happening to me at Incheon.

I think these were cases where I was in transit but did not have an onward boarding pass because I was on standby. So I had to go to a counter and get a tax exempt coupon to produce for the check-in agent, in lieu of paying the tax.

In the US, the airlines collect it on a trust basis and, as I recall, there was very little accounting for it. Back in the eighties, when they first introduce the $3 deparure tax, I worked at LAX for an airline. A few employees got sacked for stealing from the departure tax till. :)

Archived