Citibank ATM foreign fee now 3%

exit2dos

Unless you are using your B of A card at an ATM, I wouldn't use it overseas. Even at an ATM, you are charged $5.00 and 1% of the amount taken out. The only time I would use their card is with a bank that B of A has a reciprocal agreement with, like Barclays, where no charges are involved. There are no banks in Thailand like this at the present.

Thanks, I have been living in Asia for over 8 years and have watched (and paid) as the fees grow. Luckily my employer will deposit a portion of my pay in local bank (at inter bank rate and no comission), so the trick is to get that amount right and keep the BofA ATM usage down, something I didn't worry about when ATM fee was flat $2.00. Rarely use credit card except corporate card.

TH

one of the reasons I strictly bank with a credit union, the "kinder gentler" version of a bank. several of the people I interact with online/by phone there (from where I live in bangkok) I know by face; and best of all they never charge for withdrawals from any ATM worldwide.

btw, Krung Thai Bank ATMs (the blue ones) do not charge the usual 1% withdrawal charge for other banks' cards...

preahko

maybe u could get a nationwide.co.uk card. They are a building society in the uk. They pride themselves on being the oinly bank at least in the uk not to charge any money or commissions anywhere in the world. its online also. maybe if your not a resident you could get a debit account which would be in sterling which is strong enough against the baht.

The only credit card that I found that does not charge the 3% FTF (Foreign transaction Fee) is Capital One.

I looked at a pile of credit card companies and only Capital One did not.

Open a bank account in Thailand and wire the money into the account, that's my plan.

T/Cs are OK, but largest is $100 USD, so that is lot of paper and signing to cash them.

maybe u could get a nationwide.co.uk card. They are a building society in the uk. They pride themselves on being the oinly bank at least in the uk not to charge any money or commissions anywhere in the world. its online also. maybe if your not a resident you could get a debit account which would be in sterling which is strong enough against the baht.

I like the idea of holding British Sterling as I think the dollar is doomed to take a big dive anyway. Something about depositing money into a British institution online makes me uneasy, though. Not sure of my rights or legal standing.

I have CD's, with HSBC, and will follow up on opening an account, which I can use a no fee ATM card. Haven't checked on that yet.

I have an account with Commerce, a regional bank, which doesn't charge anything, yet.

The best thing, I think, is opening a Thai bank account. Maybe Thai Farmers Bank or Bangkok Bank.

I'm getting a Retirement Visa so I have to do that anyway.

Open a bank account in Thailand and wire the money into the account, that's my plan.

T/Cs are OK, but largest is $100 USD, so that is lot of paper and signing to cash them.

Opening a bank account in Thailand is a good idea, I've been toying with that for years.

T/Cs, according to a new post are costing 150 Baht fees. So that sucks too.

Archived