THAI Airways Near-Collision Over Korea

preahko

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/17/headlines/headlines_30019158.php

21 hurt in plane's near-miss over SKorea

A THAI aircraft was suspected of flying on the same altitude of a Taiwanese plane and nearly caused collision.

SEOUL - Twenty-one people aboard a Taiwanese plane were injured Thursday when it was forced to change course to avoid another aircraft while approaching South Korea's Jeju island, airline officials said.

Nineteen of them needed hospital treatment and three are still in hospital including one with a brain haemorrhage, medical staff said.

The accident happened when a Boeing 757 operated by the Far Eastern Air Transport Corporation was approaching the southern resort island.

Airline spokesman Chang You-peng said the plane was told by flight controllers to reduce altitude from 35,000 feet to 34,000 feet.

But an alarm designed to avoid airborne collisions went off, prompting the pilots to make an emergency descent for around 10 seconds, Chang told AFP in Taipei.

"The pilots said they suspected it was a Thai jetliner flying nearby on the same altitude," he added, praising their "correct and proper" handling of the incident.

The pilots had no time to warn passengers of the sudden descent, Chang said, adding that 16 passengers and five crew were injured out of 129 passengers and eight crew members on board.

Medical officials in Jeju said two people suffered fractured ribs and one had a brain haemorrhage...

"The pilots had no time to warn passengers of the sudden descent, Chang said, adding that 16 passengers and five crew were injured out of 129 passengers and eight crew members on board."

Everybody who never had a seat belt on.

exactly! the sole reason is I always buckle my seat belt when I'm seated (sign on or not) is precisely the effects of a sudden descent. rarely happens, but when it does...!

preahko

Two mysterious planes, one from Taiwan but no company name, almost collides with another no name plane.... Are the one's reporting this news drunk? And why do they expect the plane at fault was from Thailand?(snip)

The Taiwanese plane was Far Eastern Air. story here:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/17/asia/AS_GEN_Taiwan_SKorea_Air_Collision.php

preahko

Everybody who never had a seat belt on.

That's why I always keep mine fastened as well. I've posted this before, but a friend of mine was on a TG flight from Bombay to Bangkok many years ago. They hit an air pocket and had a rapid decent during the meal service. Everything not strapped in hit the ceiling, including those meal carts, which are pretty heavy. He took some photos of the carnage and showed them to me later.

Quite a few people injured, and no in-flight announcements about what has just happened. The cabin crew just kind of froze up and tried to clean up the food mess, allegedly picking up rolls and re-serving them in business class (this was in the early 90's).

The chaos was so bad that some Indian guy in economy class got up there on a mike and, in reference to stuff hitting the ceiling, announced, "Now you know why we Indians wear turbans!"

Bangkok Post

Today

Link

Taiwan blames Seoul for THAI near-miss

Taipei (dpa) - Taiwan's Far Eastern Air Transport (FAT) on Friday rejected turbulence as the cause of its passenger jet's near collision with a Thai jetliner, which resulted in 21 people being injured on the Taiwanese plane.

It stressed that the control tower of South Korea did not alert its pilot of the approaching Thai airliner, forcing the Taiwanese pilot to take swift action in diving some 4,000 feet to avoid the collision.

The incident occurred Thursday morning when FAT's Boeing 757 - carrying 129 tourists and eight crew - approached Cheju, a tourist resort off South Korea's south coast.

"Our pilot saw the flashing signal of the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) and in swift response made the accurate decision to dive to avoid collision," Chang Yu-peng, public relations manager of FAT, told reporters.

He said the pilot was following the direction of the South Korean control tower to fly to an altitude at 35,000 feet when suddenly the TCAS of flight FE306 flashed the warning signal of an approaching plane.

Chang said the pilot, identified as Chen Shih-han, also heard from the radio the pilot of the Thai airliner asking the control tower why there was another plane flying at the same altitude.

"Our pilot later asked the air tower what had happened after diving to 31,000 feet, but got no response from them," Chang said, adding the control tower officials finally responded after the FAT pilot requested priority landing and medical aid.

The pilot, who returned to Taipei Friday afternoon with his crew, confirmed that the TCAS of the plane activated when another airliner came close to his jet. "The air tower did not alert me of the approaching airliner," Chen Shih-han told reporters.

He also denied South Korean news reports that turbulence was the cause of the accident. "The air current was quite stable after FE306 took off from Taipei," he stressed.

The sudden loss of attitude sent some passengers and flight attendants tumbling to the ceiling, leaving 21 injured, 16 Taiwanese tourists and five crew.

Taiwan later sent a team of experts to South Korea to help probe the incident. The three Flight Safety Council experts Friday joined their South Korean counterparts in probing what caused the mishap.

Given that the incident occurred in South Korean air space, Seoul authorities were taking charge of the investigation. The Transport Ministry there already sent experts to investigate the factors that might have caused the near collision, including examining the two plane's black boxes and the condition of the Taiwanese jet.

The investigation could take between six months to one year.

Archived