could blair get elected in the US

texascity

IMHO .. he is much to sophisticated for America

+

I've never seen him reference GOD

Nanci Pelosi (I'd do her!) spoke of church last week

Hillary & McCain are careful to associate themselves with godly references.

American Patriotism is more based in godliness that selfless service.

True patriot war heroes like Kerry & McCain & Max Clelland are often held in disdain & called cowards.

Tony didn't serve, did he?

& the Bush / Rove attire is based on 'market survey' .. the ever so dapper jack Straw (?) really turned me off.

Tony is definitely a better speaker than ANY american

Tony handles himself so well in the house of commons .. I'd lub to see the bush boy in such a situation.

the average american, to the right of me, would not know what to do with Tony's level of sophistication.

except for his poodle act & the dodgy dossier fact I'd vote for Tony.

wow-ster he seems pretty hawkish.

must say I do not know enough about Brit politics

labour indicates (to me) pro working man ..

is Tony pro globalization?

He seems to have a social conscience.

I do like that 100% KRAZY guy .. Sir Galloway, a Sean Connery like speaker ..

I'd definitely vote for him .. he seems pretty honest

he spoke to the US Congress / Senate(?) & blasted some neocon ass'oles

would Bush's 'cockney' fly on the Isles?

If Arnold can be elected gov. of California (I love the way he pronounces it), Blair could be elected, but probably not President, because of his support of enviromental issues and his interest in helping third world nations, particularly Africa. Both topics rank below radar with most Americans.

Tony is no 'cockney'. He was actually born in Scotland and speaks with a Home Counties accent. I'd like to hear Bush do any kind of British accent.

As to whether Blair is left or right that's hard to say. Mrs. T shut the unions down and Tony stepped into the vacuum. There is not much left of the old Labour movement in the UK. Everybody is middle class now except lazyphil. :stirthepo:stirthepo

Us Americans are so 'daft' as the Brits say he'll get elected based on his accent alone. We (the collective we, I like my east coast accent best..hehe) go goo-goo over English accents. Blair spoke to both houses of Congress a couple years ago. Said the same thing about the war in Iraq has Bush did but with an 'educated, english accent' (at least to us here) and everyone said 'keep Blair, send Bush back'. Why? The accent.

He'd be a Democrat. A centrist Democrat. Labour (or Labor here ; )party is akin to Dems and the Tories are more akin to Republicans in how both parties are viewed in their respective nations.

It's a state wherein a perfect synthesis gives rise to no antithesis. In political terms it means the population becomes conditioned to accept domination by the ruling elite. The ruling elite creates the problems and then solves them. Ultimately nobody has to think anymore.

Of course it's all theory. In reality something always happens to fuck it up. Things like hubris and karma seem much more reliable.

Many years ago now, Blair was so impressed with Bill Clinton that he came to the US to be tutored by Bill's staff on how to position himself.

Clinton, a Rhodes scholar, is a brillant man without any moral compass. If it benefits Clinton that is all that matters. Blair seems cut in the same mold. But, to be elected in the US, he would have to stop using complex sentences, bring his vocabulary down to the level of a 10 year old and adopt some of Clinton's home boy demeanor.

Personally, I think, being in the Clinton mold, he could accomplish this and be elected.

Archived