Bringing an unlocked cell phone to Thailand vs a calling card ............

whcouncill

Bringing an unlocked cell phone to Thailand vs getting a calling card to use at pay phones, land lines etc.

If you had an unlocked cell phone from home (like a motorola razor or something like that) would you bring it to Thailand?

Being that you will probably call people within Thailand and maybe some people back at home, is it worth it to bring that unlocked cell phone, or just get one there or would you just wing it, using the pay phone and land lines?

What are some good plans to go with on the prepaid cell phone tip?

What if you were planning on gonig to Singapore and Malaysia too?

Is it cheap for people in other Asian countries to call a Thai cell phone?

Thanks for any info you may have.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose to bring my unlocked quad band phone to LOS...its easy to buy a new SIM card ( Ichose AIS )and pre-pay ,with the account I use there is a time limit on how long you can use the credit (500 bt.has c.10 weeks limit).Calls to other cell phones seem cheap and calling abroad isnt too bad at c.10 bt./min to Europe.Alternatively all the popular phones from Nokia,Samsung,etc.are available to buy here,many,but not all,being slightly cheaper here and also available network free which is not always possible with the latest models in the UK.

I wouldn`t dream of going to LOS without a cell phone.

Have you ever tried using public phones in LOS? They SUCK! And for some obscure reason they tend to place the phone box right next to the most heavily trafficked intersections making any conversation virtually impossible.

Get yourself a thai SIM card at the airport. 1000 baht with 800 baht to spend talking. They will install it for you on the spot and you are ready to go.

cheers

hn

If you use a local sim card here in Thailand and you want to dial internationally, start dialling with 007 or 009... it works out at 7 baht per minute. Very cheap!

I use it all the time.

So, if dialling the UK: 007 44 .....

The USA: 007 1 ....

Doesn't matter if you use 007 or 009, they both work the same.

MooNoi

Mentors, for me a handy is a phone you carry around in your home or garden up to 30 m away from the base station and connected to the landbased telephone system.

"Handfunksprechgerät"

hand radio speak gadget

Back to subject, guys, remember there're PTs for this sort of discussions! :cool:

Archived