Survey: U.S. 'Most Unfriendly Country'

Fidel

Monday, Nov. 20, 2006 4:10 p.m. EST

Survey: U.S. 'Most Unfriendly Country'

Rude immigration officials and long delays in processing visas have turned the United States into the world's most unfriendly country for international travellers, according to a global survey released Monday.

The survey showed that the United States was ranked "the worst" in terms of visas and immigration procedures by twice the percentage of travellers as the next destination regarded as unfriendly - the Middle East and the Asian subcontinent.

The survey, of 2,011 international travellers in 16 countries, was conducted by the polling firm RT Strategies for the Discover America Partnership, a business-backed group launched in September to promote travel to the United States and improve the country's image abroad.

More than half of the travellers surveyed said U.S. immigration officials were rude and two-thirds said they feared they would be detained on arriving in the United States for a simple mistake in their paper work or for saying the wrong thing to an immigration official.

"The entry process has created a climate of fear and frustration that is keeping foreign visitors away," said Geoff Freeman, executive director of the Discover America Partnership. "The survey shows there is more fear of our immigration officials than of terrorism or crime."

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved.

Source

and again....

I have a different opinion about americans, they are always friendly to me, especially in New York, I haven't met nicer and more supportive people than there!

Immigration officers try to intimmadate you, doesnt work for me because I am usually too excited to smoke a cigarette after 10 hours than dealing with their bulllshit!

OK I am a very frequent USA Basher, I find the people ignorant bodering on stupid, DEFENCIVE, but I can;t bring myself to say unfriendly.

I've met many right wing racist, left wing nuts, who have invited me to visit and stay with them, and they MEAN it , as much as I'd hate to stay with them.

That said Americans are . . . . . . agrevating

DOG

the lines at USA immigration are crazy ,

as a USA pasport holder you get thru pretty quick,

but the visitor lines are long and slow, as a visitor to europe I cannot think of any European country that takes so much time .

The immigration people are taught to be suspicious ,

for good reason , there are many people coming here as tourists who plan on staying till they are caught,

and since there are noe 300 million in the USA I guess saying anything about "us" is true for at least a few of the 300 million

OC

OC....the land of Orange trees , well the few that are left

Flew in to Chicago yesterday. The lines were much longer for the US citizens then for the visitors.

Going thru Immi, getting baggage and thru Customs, all in less then 30 minutes. Not bad and no hassles.

USA, unfriendly? no way! if you think otherwise then go back home, wankers! ....only kidding...or am I? :neener:

Archived