Tourist arrested for not carrying passport

Bangkoktraveler

In Pattaya I almost never carry my passport, not even a copy of the photo page and the entry stamp.

Dangerous!

Seriously misleading to new-comers to Thailand who read this forum.

And that from a paid sponsor of the forum. :shocked:

... don't recommend anyone to follow my example.

Enough problems for farangs visiting or living here, without asking for more.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest hassle with carrying a passport is if you put it in the obvious male storage place, the back pocket of your jeans, it fucks it up in a matter of months. The combination of sweat and pressure really stuffs up things like bar codes and photos. Subsequently I've taken to carrying a handy shoulder bag. Very convenient forphones also, colour matches my eyes......

I always carry around my passport as well. Of the 7,5 years I have been here now, I have been stopped twice and asked for my passport.

I showed them my Thai Comedy ID card both times and they were satisfied with that. But even though that seems to work, I still carry my passport.

Waerth

I do not and would never carry my passport with me, the chances of "loosing" it are higher then getting caught. I bring my ID Card, I can identify myself. My ID Card even has my adress on it, my passport just my name.

I was once driving 13 in the wrong direction with my motorbike. In 1 year I never saw police in this soi. Of course this one time I broke the law I was catched (15 yards away from my condo). The policeman was nice, shaked my hand and asked me for my license, I didn't had any. He asked me for ID or Passport, I didn't had any. He fined me with 500 baht and checked out my bag which had 7 Pirated DVD movies. I gave the Policeman 500 Baht and asked him for a receipt, he said "you want receipt the fine is 1000 baht" then he smiled. Then 4 motorbikes came the wrong way as well, he was trying not to - but now he had a huge smile on his face. 2500 baht in 3 minutes!

Archived