Tourist arrested for not carrying passport

Bangkoktraveler

Is this shit happening again?

Tourist applies for visa, arrested for not carrying passport

Thonglor, BKK - A Swedish tourist ordered a trip to Burma at a Thai travel-agency in Bangkok. The agent also offered to arrange visa formalities on behalf of the tourist, a procedure which is common and legal. The tourist handed over his passport to the agency.

At a routine check for identification the tourist was arrested while walking with two Thai friends near Thonglor BTS sky-train station, Sukhhumvit road. Not having a passport he was arrested, despite carrying a original Swedish driver's...

article found HERE.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All persons in Thailand over a certain age (14 or 15 I think) must carry an ID-card. There's no exception for foreigners and the only legal ID-card if you're abroad is your passport (or in same cases a national ID-card).

Sweden is one of the few countries in Europe where citizens don't have to carry an ID-card all the time, but all foreigners must carry a passport or if coming from EU-countries a national ID-card.

After the big bust at the Q bar a while ago I got the Mrs to ask the Chiang Rai police what the procedure was with farangs and passports. They said if you don't want to carry it, or it's off getting a visa etc to carry a photo copy, including the latest immigration stamps.

I nearly got arrested in the PI at Zamboanga Airport once for producing my English passport because my Oz one ws at the Vietnames Embassy in Manila. It also happened to contain the entry stamp. I was given an hour to produce a copy and rang the travel agent in Angeles City and she said "Oh Mister Julian, your passport's just got back from Manila today, it's on my desk now." She faxed me the copies straight away. I'll never listen to another complaint about the competence of Asian travel agents again.

I carry an electronic version of my Thai documentation on my Phone including a full copy of my passport and WP.

About 12 months ago I was talking with Kh. Ittipol of Pattaya Immigration about this as an ID and he said that "It appears OK to him"

A few weeks ago this was put to the test when Sri-Racha Immigration paid a suprise visit to the office checking passports and work permits. I was outside having a ciggy at the time when three of them came up asking for documents, I showed them the e-copy and with a Khob Khun Khrub they let me finish my smoke in peace.

In Pattaya I almost never carry my passport, not even a copy of the photo page and the entry stamp. In BKK I sometimes carry my passport but not often. On the other side I'm either with TGF or can phone her if I have problem.

I've never been checked, once we stayed in a place where HM the King soon should pass a police officer asked GF about me but accepted her explanation without asking for my passport (which I carried that time as we traveled from Pattaya to BKK in car).

I know the law and know what I'm doing and don't recommend anyone to follow my example. :cool:

It's a simple thing though Elef, granted Thailand isn't as tightly controlled as Lao or Vietnam, but for the sake of avoiding a hassle with a policeman who's wife has just found out about his mia noi, has a raging hangover and the sergeants just cut him out of the station bribe share out, well, how difficult is it to carry your passport. You wouldn't be the first Farang to cop a bullet while explaining that he knew the law and knew what he was doing.

When in LOS, I always carry my passport with me. I have been stopped 2 times now (both in the last 3 years) and asked for it. I will add, that here in the USA, in most (maybe all?) states, you are required to carry some form of I.D. little if ever enforced law, but on the books and used when needed. Under certain circumstances, the police here can "detain" you until a positive I.D. has been made. Hence, I understand Thailand's law.

Additionally, I will add, Thailand may have a problem with people circumventing the Visa rules, or on over stays. Thailand may also have a foreign criminal element running around, hence I can see why they may want to check who they can. Wish they would do the same here (USA) with all the people we have running around...but don't get me started on that topic!

Archived