Esplanade Ratchada

waerth

For those of you living on Ratchada or going there a lot, you must have noticed a new shopping/movie complex going up in the past year.

Although on the inside it isn't finished yet it opened up already/ So I decided to head there today to have a look.

When you enter from Ratchada you notice that they have actually tried landscaping instead of making it all stone and concrete. It can be clearly seen that whatever company did this needs to learn a lot about how to lay a lawn. Although it could have looked very nice they did a rushjob on this. And it shows.

It looks ok on the inside nothing really spectecular apart from the wooden benches in the building which were put there to give it an artsy impression. There will be a theatre in the building and an ice skating rink, but the shops and restaurants were a disappointment. There is nothing there that we didn't have already on Ratchada. Apart from the Bowling and movietheatre offcourse.

Restaurantwise it is some of the usual chains. And a lot, really a lot of Japanese restaurants (I counted 12 when reading the index) Apart from a McD a KFC and Scoozi (an Italian pizza chain or something like that) forget about western food. Forget even about Thai food! There is virtually non there only MK (but that isn't really Thai is it?). I was amazed by this. There is one Vietnamese restaurant though. I actually feel the management did a poor job in attracting variety. Being that they promoted this as "the" thing after Siam Paragorn they should have done a better job. At least over there their is more of a variety foodwise (did I mention I like to eat?).

So the plusses are:

Japanese food, movie theatre, bowling

Minusses are:

No variety foodwise, more of the same chains

Waerth

Thais seem to love MK. There are now 4 on this little part of Ratchada. One in Fortune. One in Esplanade. One in Carrefour and one in Robinson. Although the one in Esplanade is called MK gold.

But yes I dislike MK .... why pay to make my own food?

Waerth

on Ratchada ... a new shopping/movie complex going up in the past year.

Thank you, Waerth, for that excellent report.

I was nearby a few days ago -- at Fortunetown -- but didn't go to that new mall.

You've saved me -- and certainly some others, too -- a disappointing trip to explore over there.

For anyone still interested, here is the web site for Esplanade Ratchada.

qualtiy varies a lot between the different MKs, the only really good one I've got is in MK in Central Festival ("Big C") in Pattaya.

MK was freaking me out at first but I have been raped too many times to join the girls that I started to like it! I prefer Hot Pot instead of MK one is located outside food wave in Royal Garden, they bring the stuff with nice spices that makes more likeable! Still nothing I would pick myself!

Archived