Is Thai food TOO spicy?

liquidflux

Everything I ate used to go right through me in Thailand, if you know what I mean until my pal who resides in BKK told me to eat rice with it. Eat a lot of rice with it and you'll be fine. But some of the stuff they eat are the hottest in the world me thinks!!! eee

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended a birthday party last night at a 'gourmet' Mexican restaurant. The menu was set, because there were so many of us (sixty or more civilized Irish people - I know that sounds like an oxymoron to you, so fuck off if you think so:).

The entree, simply chicken and rice, was so spicy that most of us never even got close to finishing our meal. Even the rice seemed to be laden with cayenne pepper. Don't serve this stuff to Irish people!

It was a great night anyway. :)

I've read that spicy food is addictive due to the endophin release, gives you a mild but hardly discernable buzz...

I like Thai food a lot, never really got into Indian food, tried a phaal curry once...almost cried blood it was so viscious...i'll have to try again one day now that i'm desensitized...i do know that chilli has some wonderful anti-cancer properties, but i worry about the obvious grief it gives my insides...it's like being cleaned out by acid sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder...

I like spicy food. I thought I had a pretty high tolerance until the first time I came to Thailand. Every now and then I'll sample what my Thai companion is having, just for fun. Usually it is SO SPICY I can't tell what it is I'm trying. I could very well be chewing on a monkeys dick and never know (not that I know what monkey dick tastes like :o) since the chilli is so strong and overpowers any flavor. Have they aquired such a high tolerance that they can actually taste through all the spice?

Discuss...

I think you do adjust to it...I enjoy lots of flavors in very spicy food besides that of the peppers.

And compared to Lao food, Thai is almost bland...many central Thais cannot handle hardcore Lao food.

preahko

Archived