Windows Media player green screen

thalenoi

I made a DVD with Windows Media Audio/Video and Movie Clips on my home PC, copied them to my hd here in LOS on a 2.66 Prescott P4 with a Geforce FX5200 AGPx8 video card.

Most movies I want to view here turn to a green screen.

Subsequentely I upgraded to WMP version 11 with same result.

Any clues besides buying a new PC :devil:

I guess the FX5200 should do its job?

CPU is at 100% when screen turns green.

thalenoi,

to play videos on the computer you need the appropriate codec installed. Even for playing standard DVDs. WMP does not bring any codecs (not sure for wmv/wma), so you need to get them somewhere else.

Your problem might be solved by installing one of the k-lite codec packs . Besides installing heaps of codecs and tools it brings a tool named G-Spot which helps to identify the codec used to encode a certain movie file, and if the codec is installed on your computer.

What worries my is the 100% CPU load. That might be the problem of two tool trying to decode the movie at the same time. I suggest you install the k-lite codec pack and see if WMP does play the movie and the CPU load is gone.

Another option is to try another player. VLC media player is a very good player that does play most movies.

Besides, ever thought about not using wmv/wma ? There's a reason why many DVD players these days support DivX and xvid, some even Nero Digital. Never saw one that supports wmv.

And no, I don't think something's wrong with your hardware. Your Geforce 5200 is perfectly capable of playing video.

Archived