Legal ways to employ burmese staff?

The Thai government recently estimated that there are 2 million people living in Thailand who are at risk of having no nationality at all, i.e., stateless people. There's a complicated system of different coloured id cards for various groups, each providing a limited set of rights but falling short of allowing citizenship - most of these people are hilltribes who have migrated into Thailand over the centuries from China via Myanmar. Some of the most recent arrivals are the Kuomintang Chinese, remnants of the Chinese nationalist army who fled from southwestern China when the Communists took over, but it's also Akha, Karen, etc.

As I recall, employment of Burmese, Laos and Cambodians was facilitated by a legalisation programme a couple years ago, in which hundreds of thousands (or millions even?) registered and recieved ID cards - I believe they need the cooperation of employers to keep the IDs valid, and they have to stay employed. If the Burmese you want to hire have these cards, they'd surely have told you by now.

YimSiam

I think it was 2001 the Thai Government introduced the migrant registration. I think at present there are approximately 1million of them and about 60% are Burmese. The problem is no matter whether they are legal or not they will always attract the attention of the Thai Police and are subjected to extortion and harrassment. Girls can obtain an under the table ID card for about 6500 baht but this can often take months for them to physically obtain it and no guarantee that it will arrive after they hand over the money. The other way to obtain a work permit is to register in one of the refugee camps and then you get a work permit fairly easily. The catch here though is they are then contracted out to Thai companies with connections in Burma. This was a deal Thaksin set up with the SPDC and the generals to apease the UNHCR. One of the hardest things for these people is many have no Burmese ID either making it impossible for them to obtain a legal work permit.

I find it unusual that Burmese girls want to work in a bar. They usually prefer not to be in a position where their exit is limited which is why they stay away from the beer gardens. Anyway think it through carefully as they become a problem whether they are legal or not. But some are very beautiful. pyn do me ta ta :wave:

They don't need a passport to get a work permit. They must either have Burmese ID card or a UNHCR registered refugee document. One thing that does happen under Thaksin arrangement is that if they lose their jobs their permit is canceled in 7 days making them illegals. Most stay on and take the risk. Either outcome for them is not favourable.

• 3 years later...

Never had an interest in this before, but now have gone through the process.

Specifically talking about a Burmese lady working (legally) as a maid. Actually have no idea how the process works, they (the Burmese) have a huge network here and they use some sort of agent to get all the proper paperwork submitted.

But, I was actually extremely surprised that she got two official looking cards from the Thai Government.

1. What looks exactly like a Thai ID card - but a brown/tan color. Same photo as Thai Citizen's ID card even.

Was told this card is only for Lao/Cambodian/Burmese - but WTF? Why not give this same type of registration card to other foreigners with valid work permits? Would be extremely useful for dealings with all government agencies and banks, utilities, etc...

2. A "Burmese" identity card - similar to the Thai social card employees get, but having both Burmese and Thai writing. Said something that the card was valid for 2 years and could be renewed for another 2 years. I asked what the point of this card was for, and the only explanation is that if stopped by the police they could show this card and not get deported.

I believe the total cost was THB 5,300 (not sure if this was for a renewal or new one).

Cheers!

The other important condition is they are only valid in BKK. Burma Girl has one and 6K I think she paid for hers. All legal but like she said still better than life back home.

Lot of agents doing this in Bang Na and Prakkanam

Archived