Legionaires

Barry

I've read of this hotel from various Finnish discussion boards and last year they had a really bad stomach bacteria outbreak there. Nearly all tourists who stayed there fell sick and had food poisoning kind of symptoms. The outbrake did fade away a little when they stopped using tap water for washing the breakfast buffet salads.

The current outreak maybe has also something to do with water pipes as you can catch legionnaire by breathing when showering in infected water.

I think it has to be standing water. So it might have found it's way into the water tanks.

I remember when the Melbourne aquarium opened, there was an outbreak very soon after. They said that they think it was in the soil there (by the riverbank) and that the excavations disturbed it.

Common sources of Legionella include cooling towers used in industrial cooling water systems as well as in large central air conditioning systems, domestic hot water systems, fountains, and similar disseminators that draw upon a public water supply. Natural sources include freshwater ponds and creeks.

Recent research in the Journal of Infectious Diseases provides evidence that Legionella pneumophila, the causative agent of Legionnaires disease, can travel at least 6 km from its source by airborne spread. It was previously believed that transmission of the bacterium was restricted to much shorter distances. A team of French scientists reviewed the details of an epidemic of Legionnaires disease that took place in Pas-de-Calais in northern France in 2003â??2004. There were 86 confirmed cases during the outbreak, of whom 18 perished. The source of infection was identified as a cooling tower in a petrochemical plant, and an analysis of those affected in the outbreak revealed that some infected people lived as far as 6â??7 km from the plant.[3]

wikipedia

Archived